How far can I expect to go?

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby snapdragon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:36 pm

As far as the dog goes, I can't forget her... she's drooling on my foot (there's a thunderstorm raging, and she gets terrified).

I tried a new technique (for me) which was to write in every possibility for a given square. Not only did it take forever (I DO use pencil) but I found it oddly distracting and confusing, so I went back to my "staring and swearing" method, with a few random pencil marks. Just wondering if others have a different experience.
snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:43 pm

karyobin: thanks for pointing me to those websites (I just got back from vacation yesterday and so haven't been around - or doing puzzles). If you can believe it, I never really understood what a naked triple was until just now!:!:
snapdragon

Postby ionn » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:19 am

princessj89 wrote:I have been doing the puzzles from the newspaper with pencil and a big eraser for less than a week. It takes me FOREVER to complete a puzzle! I just tried one online and it took me exactly 9 minutes 12 seconds. It didn't seem challenging at all, especially with the "How am I doing?" button. When you click the button, it highlights which number you incorrectly places on the grid. Kinda lame I think...

That sounds like websudoku.com. Their "Easy" level is really one of the easiest I've ever seen. Most puzzles I've seen in newspapers are at least a bit harder than that.
ionn

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques