How do you type the code in a text editor?

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

How do you type the code in a text editor?

Postby JeJ » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 pm

Everytime I have to type the code for a puzzle I am going to ask about in this forum, it is annoying because the editor that I use (Microsoft Word using Courier New font), gives me trouble. Maybe I am doing it wrong, so I am going to describe my method and ask how others do it.

I have a file that contains the puzzles I ask about. The first puzzle on my file contains the code I copied from someone's question (I did it just to have a copy of the character for the horizontal separation character -the vertical line-). Well depending on the character preceding the vertical line (a number or a dot), Word decides to add an unwanted space that I have to delete later before posting my code.

So is there another way to do it? A right way?

Thanks.
JeJ

Re: How do you type the code in a text editor?

Postby ronk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:41 pm

JeJ, a plain text editor, meaning an editor without embedded and/or automatic formatting, would be much better IMO. For example, try Microsoft's Notepad. I use gvim, a unix vi-like editor.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Re: How do you type the code in a text editor?

Postby tarek » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:45 pm

I would avoid using MS Word as a text editor in this case.

With Copy & paste you will paste into MS word not just the text but the hidden formatting that was carried with it.

3 proposed solutions (Any should work):

1. Use Notepad or Notepad+ as the text editor (Windows or other)
2. When pasting into MS Word, use PASTE SPECIAL & select text only.
3. Use Notepad as an intermediate copy & paste station between MS Word & anything else.

tarek
tarek

Postby Pat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:45 pm

JeJ wrote:Everytime I have to type the code for a puzzle I am going to ask about in this forum,
it is annoying because the editor that I use (Microsoft Word using Courier New font), gives me trouble.

So is there another way to do it? A right way?

you may like Paul's Pages ( by Paul Stephens )
    use the button marked import/export
or with "pencilmarks" --
use Simple Sudoku ( by Angus Johnson )
Pat

Return to General