How did everyone find sudoku??

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Postby skilly91 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:05 am

:Di found sudoku(not standing out very much) in a bookstore amongst lots of other books, to discover that it had already spread all over the counter and in the newspaper!:D
skilly91

Postby SudokuBart » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:05 am

Newspaper.. those are pretty easy tbh. I'm looking for some harder puzzles:D
SudokuBart

Postby Karyobin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:31 am

Under the settee.
Karyobin

Postby nj3h » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:45 am

At www.inertiasoftware.com, while checking on the latest version of their jigsaw computer program. I tried the daily puzzle and got hooked. I then searched the net and settled in (very quickly) on the sudoku.com site and thought Pappocom's program had so many great features and capabilities that it was a no-brainer to go with his program. I am not disappointed!

Regards to all,
George in Virginia/USA
nj3h

Postby kfitri » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:15 am

Newspaper! I did not pay any attention to it until my wife (fulltime housewife - she must have a lot of time in hand!) showed it to me and got hooked ever since.
kfitri

Postby Scott H » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:33 am

Sudoku was discussed in a math-fun mailing list I'm on.
Scott H

Wher i found sudoku

Postby nikkibee2 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:16 pm

:)i had 2 do it in my maths class because it was the end of term and it was supposed to be fun but i didnt like it but then i got sooo bored i tried to work it out and now i like it and did some on the plane wen i went on holiday!!!:D i had neva heard of it b4:( but now i do it wen i get bored:D:!::!::!::!: Nikki x x x
nikkibee2

Postby Wolfgang » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:01 pm

About 2 months ago the first sudoku was published in an Austrian newspaper. My friend and i liked it from beginning. I wrote a small program to solve and create puzzles and found this site as starting point to learn more about it.
It was fascinating then to see how Nick70's turbot fish gave a new impulse for creators and solvers.
But now i'm sure (maybe after xy-wing) that the end of new techniques has come that could help me to solve a puzzle better (when im stuck, i try to find some if-thens to eliminate a number, if this doesnt help, i look for a good cell as starting point to try a number or two simultaneously - thats as good as any expensive technique).
The last interesting question with sudoku for me is the 16-clue problem (but i dont have the time to take part actively).
So i will hop back to learn go again. For those who are interested: Its easy to find a place where you can play online, here you can learn more after a beginners book (or search for the Go Weekly magazine).
Many thanks to all who helped me to learn so much (most of them politeley) and please forgive me some hasty postings.
Wolfgang

two newspapers

Postby numberguy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:48 pm

First it was the redeye which did not have ANY info about sudoku. That was about 3 weeks ago. Then yesterday (Aug 8) it was in the Suntimes complete with sudoku's web addr.
numberguy

Postby cho » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:48 am

The Kim Komando weekly newsletter a couple weeks ago. She writes for several papers and does a daily syndicated radio show about computers here in the US.

cho
cho

Postby afecay » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:05 am

I saw it in a newspaper and did not think much of it.
Then I saw a book of puzzles at the newsagents and have since been doing them on the plane ... and also bought the game so have been doing it at home too.:) and at work during my lunch break.
afecay

Postby richardginn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:42 am

through mousebreaker.com
richardginn

Postby JerseyGirl » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:51 am

I thought I was the last person to find this in the newspaper, but it seems like a lot of us are new to this board and the puzzle.

Does anyone know when was it invented?
JerseyGirl

Postby Dusty Chalk » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:21 am

I ride the MetroRail in DC (subway), and was watching someone else do it over their shoulder (silently, of course). Then I found out my housemate was doing it. She explained it to me briefly, and I said, "aw, that's easy". So the next time I saw one, I tried it. Took me 3 1/2 hours, in two blocks (first block at 3 in the morning).

I've been a non-productive member of society ever since. Thanks, Sudoku!
Dusty Chalk

Postby lobby__boy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:04 pm

MSN had a story on their homepage about it back in...march i think. whatever month it says i joined<------, that's when it was in there.
lobby__boy

PreviousNext

Return to General