Hodoku

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Hodoku

Postby dkendres » Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 am

My chromebook will not download Hodoku. Does anybody know of something similar as a learning tool. When I started I had no idea of the depth of this addictive game!
Thanks, Diane
dkendres

Re: Hodoku

Postby StrmCkr » Tue May 15, 2018 3:56 am

Hodoku is Java script and needs the latest frame works to operate on a Windows based system.
Asides from that check that you are downloading the. Jar file.
I suggest googling for scanraid. And click on the first link to Andrew stewards sudoku wiki page.
his online solver is decent but limited, it can show case some solving techniques with in his list but dose t show mutiple variations of said move on a puzzle that are also applicable.
which hodoku can.
. But it's a step in a direction for learning.

Cheers strmckr.
Some do, some teach, the rest look it up.
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Postby enxio27 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:33 pm

dkendres wrote:When I started I had no idea of the depth of this addictive game!

Welcome! I know what you mean! Be sure to check out the Sudoku Variants section of this forum, as well. I enjoy those as much as I do the "plain vanilla" puzzles.
enxio27

Postby ghfick » Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 pm

I can also recommend Sudoku Explainer [SE] by Nicolas Juillerat. Also in Java and its last update was in 2007. Nevertheless, it has a very extensive set of very elaborate Forcing Chain strategies. These strategies are still being explored by enthusiasts. Further, SE has been adapted to provide a [still] definitive rating of puzzles based on the complexity of the Forcing Chains.
I also very much recommend Phil's Folly [PF] by Philip Beeby. This solver has some more recently established strategies like [parts of ] JE, SK Loops, MSLS along with both bidirectional and unidirectional chains and much more.
ghfick

Postby VMSguy1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:56 pm

I run Hodoku on a PC in my basement. When up and around the house or traveling I run Google Remote Desktop on the PC so then I can open the puzzle on a Chromebook, iPad, iPhone, whatever. If you have a PC to run Hodoku on this is a good way to go. I don't know of any program like Hodoku that runs on these platforms.
Cheers.
VMSguy1

Return to Software