Help

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Help

Postby Sodu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:19 pm

I'm new to Sudoku Forum I started playing sodoku on Android I downloaded the app from Google play store I searched and googled the internet on how to play Sodoku I found some very great youtube videos on how play I mastered beginning yet to learn and master playing medium this level is extremely difficult I tried reading sodoku books on e-reader well watching videos I'm need of tips and pointers on medium kindly explain this to me reach me on forum or email.
Sodu

Re: Help

Postby dxSudoku » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:52 pm

I've done a number of tutorial videos on the more advanced techniques. Here is a playlist which may help you:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDT9hh28q4mybizFccwMQPsKmV0jjZwf-

Sorry for the shameless plug but I worked really hard on these videos and my hope is they are what you looking for.

In terms of puzzle solving strategy here is what I do. I've done a number of videos on solving puzzles from beginning to end. After years of doing so many puzzles I follow a certain algorithm. I'm sure other people do the same. Maybe slightly different near the bottom of the sequence when more advance techniques are required because I usually only do the ones I know. Right now I don't know all the advance techniques so maybe people have other strategies. But for most easy and medium puzzles I think people pretty much follow the same sequence. There is a group of techniques I call the 7 base techniques (steps 1 through 7).

Step 1: Look for any Naked Singles. If found repeat Step 1.
Step 2: Look for any Hidden Singles. If found go back to Step 1.
Step 3-7: Look for Naked Pair, Locked Candidates, Hidden Pairs or Naked Double, Naked Triples, X-Wing. If found go back to Step 1.
Step 8: Look for Hidden Triples. If found go back to Step 1.
Step 9: If there are cells with lots of pairs then look for W-Wings. If found go back to Step 1.
Step 10-17: Look for Skyscraper, Empty Rectangle, 2-String Kite, Remote Pair, XYZ-Wing, XY-Wing, Swordfish, and X-Chains. If found go back to Step 1.
Step 18: Use Hodoku's Vague Hint command to see if the puzzle requires a technique you don't know. (then learn it, come back, and try to solve).
Step 19: Go back to step 1

The order you look for the advance techniques is not as important I don't think based on my current experiences. Step 18 is important. This algorithm is the basic idea of a general puzzle solving strategy. I've been thinking of doing a video at some point describing this algorithm.

Here is a playlist of videos where I use the strategy above to solve some medium hard puzzles showing which technique I use every 5 seconds and how the algorithm repeats as the puzzle is being solved:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDT9hh28q4mwWSjY6aogs-N9_62aKhKvZ

Good luck!
dxSudoku

Postby Pupp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:47 am

Youtube: Cracking the Cryptic.

My "go-to" channel. They pretty much cover every possible aspect of Sudoku... even topics that only someone that's barely started playing Sudoku would ask, all the way up to the most advanced techniques.

And listening to the guy is very relaxing. He never rushes, nor does he waste words either. He get's to the point of the video quickly, once he gives some much needed background information about why he made the video.
Pupp

Postby Pupp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:00 am

I highly reccomend 10,000 Sudokus Plus.
( I always reccomend paying for ad free versions of free software, but that just me. )

I've gotten to Advance 5 so far, and only used the hint button once. It comes with 10,000 standard sudokus, 5,000 variant puzzles, for a total of 15,000 puzzles.

But wait.... there's MORE: I just installed BEYOND NIGHTMARES collection. ( It's free, and it's 4593 puzzles even harder than nightmare level.)

Still trying to figure out how to install other collections though.
Pupp

Return to General