help!!!help!!!

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

help!!!help!!!

Postby wally1 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:58 am

:(I just recently started these puzzels since they just started in our local paper.They started with very easy which in fact they were. But now on the easy ones I find myself penciling in way to much. So much that it almost becomes confusing. What should I be doing so that I don't have to pencil in so much:(
wally1

Postby simes » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:35 am

Let a computer program do it for you!

There are several available, look in the solver forum, or give mine a go. (Click the WWW button below)

Simes
simes

Re: help!!!help!!!

Postby stanislaus » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:28 am

wally1 wrote::(What should I be doing so that I don't have to pencil in so much:(

Wally,
Don't pencil anything in! Ballpoint it in only when you know it is right. You may find it useful to think in groups of three squares, both horizontal and vertical. For example, if there is a 7 in a vertical 3-square unit, then the other two 7s in the other vertical units in that third of the puzzle can often be plotted. Do the same with horizontal 3-square units. There are some which will stand out, especially in easy puzzles. Then as you progress, more and more can be plotted. Sometimes I pencil in two little digits in the corner of a square if I know that they are the only two possibilities, but too much of this can only confuse.

Do respond if you find any of this helpful.
stanislaus

Postby stanislaus » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:32 am

simes wrote:Let a computer program do it for you!

What an absurd suggestion! The guy wants to learn how to solve it himself, for crying out loud!!
stanislaus

Postby Pappocom » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:10 am

simes wrote:Let a computer program do it for you!

What would be the point of that! Just to find out the answer? But you already know the answer - it has 1 thru 9 in every row, column and box.

It's the journey that matters, not the destination.

- Wayne.
Pappocom

help!!! help!!!

Postby Cec » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:35 am

Wally1 wrote "What should I do so I don't have to pencil in so much"

Wally, Not sure if I'm answering your question but here goes:
Because of the weak texture of newspapers if that is the source of your puzzle, I found the paper tore easily when rubbing out pencil eliminated candidates and trying to write in the correct clue in each cell. Before attempting to solve a puzzle, I now print a copy from the newspaper onto better quality paper and when all possible candidates are filled in on the copy I then print a spare copy of that in case I make a mistake - usually this only becomes apparent at the end of 'solving ' the puzzle. This eliminates starting from scratch again to at least knowing what the possible candidates are for each cell..

You may be interested in the "Usefull solving aid" posted by "Ollie " on June 26 on www.jub.com.au/sudoku.cfm.

"stanislaus" makes a useful tip in filling in as much as you can as he describes above but I'm not sure about the ballpoint idea seeing you have only recently started.

Regards Bonsai Cec
Cec

Postby stuartn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:21 pm

simes wrote:

Simes - if this isn't tongue in cheek (and I suspect it is) then you're an utter disgrace.

Stuartn:D
stuartn

Postby george-no1 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:26 pm

Don't be horrible stuartn, he's only trying to make a sale.
george-no1

Postby simes » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:12 pm

I'm hanging my head in shame.

S
simes

Postby Karyobin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:59 pm

What should I be doing so that I don't have to pencil in so much

Think more. (Sorry, just my little way). As Rafiki said, "Look Haarrrdd..."

Stuart - Good call.
Simes - I'm assuming you're suffering withdrawls. Hang your head lower - beneath your knees man!

By the way Simes - congratulations on even rattling the admin with that one. And I'm sure the "journey/destination" bit was what I said in response to the old T & I debate weeks ago. Still, can't go round copyrighting wisdom, can we?

"The greatest fool in the world may look at the sky and say it's blue. Just because he's a fool, doesn't mean he's wrong"

Not sure what relevance that has, but I've always liked it.
Karyobin

Postby angusj » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:41 pm

Karyobin wrote:Simes - I'm assuming you're suffering withdrawls. Hang your head lower - beneath your knees man!

Give simes a break! Besides he's apologised of sorts, not that that was necessary. Anyhow, using a computer to avoid the tedium of maintaining candidates IS a valid alternative, though perhaps not the first one I'd suggest to someone who appears to be looking for ways to streamline his pen and paper solving.
angusj

Postby wally1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:06 am

:DThanx everyone for your response to my question. I think that i'll leave the computer program idea for last for when I'm ready to give up on the whole thing and getting ready to go back and read the comics. As for now I'll keep watch for suggestions and the best one probably is to think harder. Wally
wally1

Postby simes » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:50 am

karyobin wrote:Hang your head lower - beneath your knees man!
It's dark down here, and my back aches, can I come up now? Pleeease?!:(

Hey! I found a penny!:)
simes

Postby angusj » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:20 pm

simes wrote:Hey! I found a penny!:)

As long as you didn't spend a penny!:D
angusj

Return to Advanced solving techniques