Having a problem, probably a stupid one.

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Having a problem, probably a stupid one.

Postby bertieismyho » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:34 am

I'm very new at this, and I don't know any of the names for strategies or terms for anything. I've probably missed something silly and obvious, because it seems like I'd have been able to do this earlier.

I have no desire for people to be vague. I'm still learning, so this is no time to worry about intellectual pride and 'spoilers' and all that rot. That said, any help is greatly appreciated.
bertieismyho

Postby fermat » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:08 am

The top row has two cells, each up which is just "16". That means you can remove all ones and sixes from the other cells in the top row.

R1C2 becomes 5 and you should move right along.

Also, row 4 has only one "2" candidate. R4C1 = 2.
fermat

Postby daj95376 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:52 am

bertieismyho,

You are trapped because of Hidden Singles -- cells where a value occurs only once in a row/column/box.

There is only one 9 in row 1, so [r1c1]=9. Now, you're left with one 5 in row 1, so [r1c2]=5. Continue in this fashion whenever there aren't any Naked Singles -- cells where only one value is left to select.

If your Sudoku program lets you display the location of a single candidate value, then use it to display the location of all the 9s and the first Hidden Single should become obvious.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Postby bertieismyho » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:22 am

Ah! Thank you both so very much! You were both really great helps.
bertieismyho

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques