Hardest sudoku question...

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Hardest sudoku question...

Postby Pupp » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:12 am

"Hardest Sudokus" has been something that inspires people for many years. There are many puzzles rated over 10 SE that exist.

My question is this:

Are puzzles rared 10+ SE mostly hand crafted, or machine made, or a random mix of either.
Pupp

Re: Hardest sudoku question...

Postby denis_berthier » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:05 am

Pupp wrote:"Hardest Sudokus" has been something that inspires people for many years. There are many puzzles rated over 10 SE that exist.
My question is this:
Are puzzles rared 10+ SE mostly hand crafted, or machine made, or a random mix of either.

A few "hard" puzzles were originally hand made. The overwhelming majority is now machine generated by vicinity search.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby Pupp » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Thanks.
Pupp

Postby dxSudoku » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:40 pm

Pupp wrote:"Hardest Sudokus" has been something that inspires people for many years. There are many puzzles rated over 10 SE that exist.

My question is this:

In terms of hand-crafted puzzles, I have not seen anyone publish anything explaining how to start with solution grid and work your way backwards until you have a constellation of givens step-by-step using logic.

As far as I can tell everyone uses a trial-and-error methods similar to what I describe in my puzzle creation video series. Here's a playlist of the 3 videos in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RYOlT0fa6G

So I am not sure the type "hand-crafted" even exists.
dxSudoku

Postby Pupp » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:25 am

Sudoku has been around for a long time, so nowadays we take it for granted that nearly all sudoku puzzles are computer generated.

But probably until the the very early 2000's, the few extremely hard sudokus were hand generated. I'm sure someone could put a date on it. I doubt it was any earlier than the mid to late 90's when computers got powerful enough to create ultra hard puzzles.
Pupp

Postby kanejoyce885 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:53 am

A few "difficult" puzzles were initially constructed by hand. The vast majority is now generated by a computer using proximity search.
kanejoyce885

Return to General