Half Box's..

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Half Box's..

Postby RyanStorm » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:43 pm

You know the rectangle, or box move, where lets say a box has a 4 and 5, or what I call a 45 box, they are in 3 corners, and the box that would make it a rectangle has something like 1459, well the rule shows that you can remove the 45 from that box. So a 1459, has a 45 to its right, straight up from there is another 45, and to the left is another 45, and down from it is the 1459. I know this is a move.

I want to know if this works with a half box, where the "kiddie corner" box isn't there, just 1 above and 1 to the side?!?

My example:

I have a 25 box, and if I go two spots over to the left, I have a 258. Straight up in same column as 258, I have another 25. So a box with 258, has 2 boxes with 25 facing it, 1 in same column, and 1 in same row and box. I thought this was a move, but I swear sometimes it doesn't work. In this scenario, I can see my solution sheet that the move would work and that no 2 or 5 is in that box, but I am stingy about stuff unless I know it is a legit move.
RyanStorm

Re: Half Box's..

Postby RyanStorm » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:29 pm

I also have another question about, what I think is called naked triplets.

I know if it is like 23, 39, and 239, that those 3 boxes will all 3 be either 2 or 3 or 9.

Well I have a 23, 29, and 239. I thought it would the same, and the only open box was a 24. I have seen this type of setup before, I know the 24 is obviously a 4, I just wanted to know if triplets also work in the 23, 29 and 239 type setup?? Cause I only know the 23, 29 and 239 works for sure.
RyanStorm

Postby JasonLion » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:56 am

Your "rectangle, or box move" depends on having four cells that share two candidates, two rows, two columns, two blocks, none of which are clues. The most common mistake is trying to apply the same rule to four cells that are spread across four blocks, which won't work. This technique is typically called Unique Rectangle.

If I understand your "half box", no that will not work.

I don't really understand your "23, 29, and 239" question. You use the same sequence for the one you know works and the one you are not sure of, which doesn't make any sense to me. As long as those three cells share a single house, that technique will always work.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby RyanStorm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:29 am

the 23, 29 and 239 in a row, column or house, that is a hidden triplet, or at least that is what I was told it is called.

I am doing a Samurai Sudoku, and as far as I know, I got 3 sudoku boxes that are unsolvable. But I thought I learned a move but apparently it isn't one! I have a house shared by two sudoku sets, and that shared house has a row, and 2 houses over in same row I got a 47, and to the right, in separate Sudoku I got another 47. As far as the shared house is concerned, both those 47's should both apply but they don't.

As for my half house, I have so many half boxes, that I just keep wondering that I haven't learned a proper move. I basically have every box broken down to 2-4 numbers left, most of them with 2 or 3, yet I have so many loops I can't solve it.
RyanStorm

Postby RyanStorm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:32 am

Basically I am at the point where I will guess, and do a test run to fill out all these trails I have. I will take a 17 box, and follow it assuming it is 1, then assuming it is 7. If I am lucky I find out early that it doesn't work.

I don't really like that type of solving, it doesn't seem like a legitimate move, but it is the only I can move, assuming I have any trails capable of folly.
RyanStorm

Postby RyanStorm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:58 am

I was going through double checking all my lines making sure I had them completely broken down, and I was going through circling all my "single pairs", and I literally went through entire board til I found 1 move only.

Well the trails I was gonna follow, was like 1 thin being held by 1 super strong chain, and looking deep into my hidden pairs of 58, basically cracked the entire board.

Note:

I found a "rectangle", I had a box that had like 234, and in same column and row, was 24, and 24, and kiddie corner was another 24, that had the same 24's in its column and row, yet the box wasn't a 3?! I swore I saw it yesterday, I might have to double check a few moves I learned, cause they might be circumstantial. Also, these Samurai Sudoku's are pretty sweet.
RyanStorm

Postby JasonLion » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:10 am

If you have 23, 29 and 239 in a row, column or block, and those are the only pencil marks in those three cells, it is a Naked Triple. But if you have those same pencil marks in three cells along with other pencil marks, and neither 2, 3, or 9 appear in any other cells in the house, you have a Hidden Triple.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques