Generating Soduku's

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Generating Soduku's

Postby big_c147 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:59 pm

Hi guys

I have been reading through some of the previous posts about how to generate Soduku puzzles. I am really after some advice. I am currently trying to make a Soduku generator/solver in visual basic. I have made progress with the solver and have a method for doing it. However I have no idea how to generate puzzles.

What I want to do is have 3 difficulty levels (done by removing more and more numbers from the start position to make it harder). I am thinking about generating a new grid randomly and then removing a given number of numbers for each difficulty level.

Is there a minimum number of clues which allows the puzzle to be solved regardless of which squares I remove? or is there a given pattern of removing squares which will guarantee the puzzle is still solvable?

Any other suggestions for methods of generating a puzzle and adding difficulty levels would great

Thanks
Craig
big_c147

Postby Ruud » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:37 pm

Hi big_c147,

This is not the correct forum to discuss generating sudokus. Please follow this link to the sudoku programmers forum and you will find most answers to your questions there.

[Note by Pappocom: Entire topic now moved to this Solver Programs forum]

Good luck,

Ruud
Ruud

Return to Software