General Logic dictionary

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

General Logic dictionary

Postby magpie » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:58 am

Dear All,

Is there are book of general logic definitions that uses a specific sudoku puzzle to explain each logic definitions? This beautiful langage of logic, is there such a thing as a sudoku-logic-dictionary?

We are new to this sudoku world and yesterday locked horns with a very difficult puzzle. It would be helpful (understatement) to be able to get hold of a key to moving to the solutions of these difficult puzzles.

At this point, we're stuck with dozens of clusters of tiny numbers in the box-tops and have no idea how to advance toward the solution.

3 cheers.
Magpie
magpie

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:04 pm

If you post the puzzle concerned you'll receive hints and tips on the way forward.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Karyobin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:33 pm

magpie wrote:We are new to this sudoku world...

magpie wrote:...we're stuck with...

Might we be in the presence of royalty here? Watch yer language everyone...
Karyobin

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:42 pm

Karyobin wrote:
magpie wrote:We are new to this sudoku world...

magpie wrote:...we're stuck with...

Might we be in the presence of royalty here? Watch yer language everyone...

Magpie was referring to her husband and herself, obviously.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Karyobin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:32 pm

Aaahh. And whilst it may be correct, this conclusion is drawn from...?

Could be royalty y'know. There's some pretty high-brow stuff goes on around here, maybe the site's stature has spread.
Karyobin

Postby emm » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:24 pm

Dear Magpie

I missed the reference to the 'royal we' - but then I'm not British. I suspect you may not be either and I wonder if you have a clue what Karyobin is going on about!:) I think your use of idiomatic English is delightful - particularly the locked horns, that's exactly how I feel about some puzzles, fight to the death, neither gives in!

To answer your actual question though you can find a key to moving to the solutions in the Help section of the Pappacom Sudoku program or http://www.angusj.com/sudoku/hints.php ( which seems temporarily unavailable) and
http://www.simes.clara.co.uk/programs/sudokutechniques.htm

I feel a bit of a cad for mentioning it but where I come from '3 cheers' means "Hip! Hip! Hooray! Well done, old boy! Give that man a cigar!" - I think you might need only 1 cheers here!:D
emm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:27 pm

Karyobin wrote:Aaahh. And whilst it may be correct, this conclusion is drawn from...?

Well if you bother to check Magpie's profile you'll find that her interest is her husband.

It doesn't state a location, though. But then neither does mine.

Cheers. 3 or otherwise, and hooray. *Pip, pip. Toodleloo etc*

Luna:D
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Karyobin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:23 am

Clarity arrives. I shall stalk more thoroughly in future.
Karyobin

great replies, thanks, everyone

Postby magpie » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:14 am

Dear lunaby-moonchild, karyobin, em,

Wonderful replies. Thank you, every one.

After (don't tell) 8-10 hours, I finally figured out that my tallying ought to be taken out and shot before dawn.

By tallying, I mean the tiny marks (that indicate the paths to the solution--crumbs in the forest leading to a clearing) that indicated to me I must have been out boiling water, or something, for the simple math mistakes I was making. At any rate, I scanned a puzzle into PhotoShop, enlarged it to 8x10, and then--cripes!--I did make some progress. Some progress. It was lots of fun, like dragging the sled almost up to the peak of the hill after an ice storm and wiping out almost to the bottom after hours of wiping out before the climb.

I will consider carefully each reply and let you know What On Earth happens.

3 cheers,
Magpie
magpie

Return to Advanced solving techniques