Gearing up for sudoku competition

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Gearing up for sudoku competition

Postby teshino » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:59 pm

There's an upcoming sudoku tournament in my area. Since it is free, I am thinking about joining and trying for the cash prizes. I have solved many hard puzzles in the past however the average time it takes me is around 40 minutes to an hour. The competition states that there will be 6 "3-star rating" puzzles with only 30 minutes and then the final round with 6 "4-star rating" puzzles with another 30 minutes for us to solve. Although the puzzles are easier than I normally solve, I am not solving them as quickly as I would like. The fastest puzzle I solved is around 20 minutes. I'm worried I'm too slow as I need to solve 3 and 4 star puzzles within 5 minutes each. I am practicing each day with the easier puzzles from sudokuhints.com and the competitive side in me would like to improve drastically before the tournament day arrives. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
teshino

Postby fermat » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:32 pm

I have played in Chess tourneys and Bridge tourneys.

If you want to play, cool!
fermat

Postby Pi » Thu May 04, 2006 10:29 pm

training for a tourny can be hard, as can competing. i went to 1 last year and the week before i was on a foreign exchange visit. needless to say i took 2 books with me and completed the both.

the times reported it

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1830302,00.html

good luck to you
BTW where is this tournament i am interested?
Pi

Return to General