Futoshiki Puzzles

For fans of all other kinds of logic puzzles

Futoshiki Puzzles

Postby kakuroatk » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:38 pm

Futoshiki is a logic puzzle game using numbers but with a unique twist. The objective of this game is to place numbers in the white squares so that each row and column contain each of the digits only once. No duplicate digits are allowed in any row or column. Also, you will only use digits based on the size of the grid. So for example, if you are playing a 5 x 5 grid, only digits 1 through 5 will be used. For a 8 x 8 grid, only 1 through 8 is used.

In addition, inequality constraints must be met as the grid is being filled out. So for example, if two adjacent squares have a greater than symbol ">", then the digit to the left of the symbol must be greater than the digit right of the symbol. This also applies to digits above and below the inequality constraint. At the start of the game you will have an empty grid with maybe a few clues.

Here is a link to our online Futoshiki game: https://www.atksolutions.com/games/futoshiki.html

Here is another link for futoshiki solving strategies: https://www.atksolutions.com/articles/futoshikistrategies.html

The variations between easy, medium and hard levels offer significantly a more challenging experience.

:D
kakuroatk

Re: Futoshiki Puzzles

Postby tarek » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:07 am

Hi kakuroatk,

You speak of Futoshiki as if it is new! This has been around for over 15 years. This forum has been around for 15 years so to parachute in trying to explain what Futoshiki is is funny.

In the form that you describe it is a variant of Latin square so it is a variant of sudoku. Therefore you should post in the sudoku variant section.

All the best

Tarek
tarek

Postby denis_berthier » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:56 am

kakuroatk wrote:Here is a link to our online Futoshiki game: https://www.atksolutions.com/games/futoshiki.html

As Tarek said, Futoshiki is not new. I've been using your puzzles for years. Have you recently added new Futoshiko puzzles ?
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby kakuroatk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:22 am

Yes, I realize that Futoshiki isn't new. I also realize that this is a very in-depth forum for logic puzzles.
However, I didn't see a whole lot of Futoshiki discussion on here so I figured I'll swoop in and post, lol.

To answer your question, yes, I have added a lot of easy Futoshiki puzzles, doubled the size the medium level and am ramping up the hard level 9x9's.
Meaning, there is a large difficulty range within 9x9 hard but I am replacing puzzles that were on the less difficult side of hard.
The strategies outlined in the link above is still the same but it is ramped up quite a bit.

So it looks like this as far as difficulty range per level:

before: easy ---------- medium ---------- hard
after: - easy -------------- medium --------------- hard

If you have a chance, if interested, let me know what you think!
Thank you!
kakuroatk

Postby denis_berthier » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:00 am

So as to avoid too much search, could you list a few references to the new hard ones?

BTW, did you also change the other games?

It would be nice also to be able to choose not only the level (Easy, Medium, Hard) but also the size of the grid.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby kakuroatk » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Here are few new puzzles:
Futoshiki 7x7 Med: M5200, M5240, M6210, M6150, M6320
Futoshiki 9x9 hard: H3200, H1150, H1160, H2060, H3050
kakuroatk

Return to Other logic puzzles