Fast web-based solver for sudoku variants

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Fast web-based solver for sudoku variants

Postby sigh » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 am

I made a web-based solver for various sudoku variants including: killer, little killer, thermo, sandwich and others.

See it at https://sigh.github.io/Interactive-Sudoku-Solver/

It doesn't attempt to show human solving techniques, but I've found it a fun way to explore how different constraints affect the possible solutions of a grid.
Last edited by sigh on Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
sigh

Re: Web-based solver for sudoku variants

Postby 999_Springs » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:30 am

i really like this for killer sudoku! this is the only brute-force killer sudoku solver i have seen that does not require a download, and it's easy to use - and it may be the fastest one i know of

i had a play around with it trying to test the sudokus in this thread, which are the hardest killer sudokus that i know of based on time to brute-force, and these are the results i got to confirm a unique solution:

Wecoc #1: 19.8 seconds
Wecoc #1 with 3-cell 6-cage in block 5: 74.5 seconds
Wecoc #2: 282 seconds
tarek's unsolvable #41: 219 seconds
mith's White Room: 0.013 seconds (for comparison)
HATMAN's 14-cage: 0.209 seconds
Wecoc #1 with 3-cell 18-cage in block 5 (invalid): 344 seconds for first 2 solutions

these times are faster than the ones posted in that thread from other solvers, so this may be the fastest killer sudoku solver i know of! i haven't used those other solvers so can't make a direct comparison but this is very impressive - well done

i might check out some of the other variants if i find some nice hard puzzles to test them with

can i suggest that a puzzle should not automatically solve even when partially entered? when i was testing these i had to click "abort" after entering each cage as it would try to solve it every time which was a distraction

you spelt "possibilities" wrong in the drop down menu next to the grid
999_Springs

Postby 1to9only » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:39 am

On the subject of 'Web-based solver for sudoku variants', I've come across this: https://sudokuspoiler.azurewebsites.net/ - it does not have a solver for killers and sigh's other variants, but has solvers for vanilla sudoku and a number of other sudoku variants, AND it does support some sudoku sizes besides the standard 9x9.

Disclaimer: I've not used any of the web solvers mentioned in this thread.
1to9only

Postby sigh » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:30 am

999_Springs wrote:i really like this for killer sudoku! this is the only brute-force killer sudoku solver i have seen that does not require a download, and it's easy to use - and it may be the fastest one i know of

Thank you for testing it, and the kind words! And for believing in it enough to wait for it to solve hard puzzles...

I hadn't seen those threads, thanks for pointing them out. Improving the killer performance was certainly the most fun, and frustrating part of this. These are a good tests if I come up with more ideas for making it faster.

999_Springs wrote:can i suggest that a puzzle should not automatically solve even when partially entered? when i was testing these i had to click "abort" after entering each cage as it would try to solve it every time which was a distraction

you spelt "possibilities" wrong in the drop down menu next to the grid

I appreciate the feedback, I've fixed both of these. There is now a toggle for auto-solving.

By the way, the "Load from text" option supports the "3x3::k:..." format (whatever it's called), which is provided for a bunch of puzzles in that thread.
sigh

Postby sigh » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:22 am

I improved the killer sudoku solving, and it's much faster now.

The solver seems to run faster on my computer than 999_Springs's so I've included my timings for the old version as well for comparison against the puzzles that 999_Springs used:

Code: Select all
Puzzle                Old (999_Springs)  Old    New
---------------------------------------------------
Wecoc #1               19.8s              14s    8s
Wecoc #1 mod A         74.5s              48s   24s
Wecoc #1 mod B *      344s               170s   68s
Wecoc #2              282s               143s   45s
tarek unsolvable #41  219s               118s   50s

* Wecoc mod B has 6 solution, the time given is time taken to disprove uniqueness. My new version takes 129s to find all 6 solutions.

Links to the puzzles in my solver: Wecoc #1 Wecoc #1 mod A Wecoc #1 mod B Wecoc #2 tarek unsolvable #41

I still have some ideas, so I hope to make it faster if I get the time.
sigh

Re: Fast web-based solver for sudoku variants

Postby sigh » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:17 am

So it turns out that the solver is much slow on Firefox, so I focused some optimization on the bottlenecks there:

Code: Select all
Case                 Chrome  Firefox
------------------------------------
Wecoc #1                 4s       8s
Wecoc #1 mod A          12s      21s
Wecoc #1 mod B *        31s      52s
Wecoc #2                10s      16s
tarek unsolvable #41    12s      21s

I also extended it to solve Jigsaw layouts, but not sure how efficient it is right now.
sigh

Return to Software