Extreme level sudoku

Post puzzles for others to solve here.

Re: Extreme level sudoku

Postby denis_berthier » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:19 pm

creint wrote:
denis_berthier wrote:Then the following whip gives a single step solution (stte):
Code: Select all
whip[15]: c9n6{r5 r6} - c9n2{r6 r8} - b8n2{r8c4 r9c6} - r6n2{c6 c7} - r6n1{c7 c6} - r5n1{c6 c9} - r1n1{c9 c7} - r4c7{n1 n8} - b9n8{r7c7 r8c8} - c6n8{r8 r1} - r1n5{c6 c1} - c1n4{r1 r9} - r9c7{n4 n7} - r9c2{n7 n6} - c5n6{r9 .} ==> r5c3 ≠ 6
stte

Of course, this is a long chain, but for single-step solution lovers, that's the best one I could find.

How long did it take to find this, how fast is CLIPS?

First, this is not the normal solution in SudoRules. I gave the normal solution in one of the first posts of this thread and it takes 5s when all the rules are activated; it takes only 2s when only whips are activated. All this is done using the simplest-first strategy and no chain of length > 4 is necessary.

As for the whip[15], it's more difficult to answer about time, because part of the process is currently manual:
- I you want a single-step solution, provided there's one, you first need to find the anti-backdoors; in the present case, it takes 5 seconds to find the 5 W1-anti-backdoors.
- after that you have to use newly defined function (try-to-eliminate-candidates xxx) , where xxx is one of these anti-backdoors; for most of them, there's no whip based on xxx and it takes less than 0.1s to find this; for n6r5c3, it's a little longer, but not extremely long because the search is focused on a fixed target (2.5 minutes). Remember that a whip[15] is exceptionally long.

[Edit: all computations times are for an old MacBookPro Retina Mid-2012 i7 2.7GHz, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, MacOS 10.15.7]

creint wrote:Do you have a method to find the first/best rank 0 for a give sudoku state?

For any set of rules and any resolution state, SudoRules will find one of the simplest rules applicable, thanks to its simplest-first strategy.
The rules in CSP-Rules are not based on set coverings, so rank 0 has no meaning for them. However, if you can code such rules, CSP-Rules simplest-first strategy will be applicable. If you activate only Subset rules, they are rank 0 and Subsets will be found according to the same simplest-first strategy. See all the Mith puzzles where I have given lots of solutions of this kind (none of which takes more than a few seconds - and generally less than 1s.)
The problem with set coverings is, nobody has ever been able to code all the possible rules of rank 0 based on set covers of any fixed size. The reason is obvious: combinatorial explosion. What you see in existing solvers is only special cases of rank 0.

Remember that you can experiment all this by yourself, as CSP-Rules is now public: https://github.com/denis-berthier/CSP-Rules-V2.1
and I've updated the user's manual a few days ago so as to include these new functions.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby creint » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:05 pm

I cannot get it to work. Even tried the GUI.
Can you make an example .net project using the CLIPSdotNetCoreWrapper?
I could integrate it in my solver when you have an example project.
creint

Postby denis_berthier » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:14 pm

creint wrote:I cannot get it to work. Even tried the GUI.

Which GUI? There's no GUI. Download, unzip and follow what's written in the user manual on how to use it.
You've no chance of integrating it in your solver as is. CSP-Rules is a set of rules, not C code.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Postby creint » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:27 pm

I
denis_berthier wrote:

Which GUI? There's no GUI. Download, unzip and follow what's written in the user manual on how to use it.
You've no chance of integrating it in your solver as is. CSP-Rules is a set of rules, not C code.

The GUI from CLIPS 6.3.
With the .net wrapper you can load .clp files and push rules, etc.

It works now but path naming is very important. Maybe I can build the wrapper myself.
creint

Postby denis_berthier » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:31 am

creint wrote:I
denis_berthier wrote:

The GUI from CLIPS 6.3.
With the .net wrapper you can load .clp files and push rules, etc.
It works now but path naming is very important. Maybe I can build the wrapper myself.

CLIPS GUI is of no use in CSP-Rules. The only part of CLIPS that is necessary is delivered with CSP-Rules.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Previous

Return to Puzzles