Does this 'hard' level puzzle require guessing?

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Does this hard level puzzle require guessing

Postby Cec » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:05 am

Hi Mac,
My apologies for replying to Paul's SOS which referred to your table. I worked on my reply to Paul late last night at the time his was the last post. Being late at night I eventually logged off ( nodded off?) without looking back at the open forum where I realized this morning that you had already responded.
Cec
Cec

Re: Does this hard level puzzle require guessing

Postby QBasicMac » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:46 am

cecbevwr wrote:My apologies...

I posted at 3:25 and you posted at 3:29

If I had taken 5 more minutes, you would have been first and I could say "sorry". LOL!

Mac
QBasicMac

Re: Does this hard level puzzle require guessing

Postby Cec » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:41 am

QBasicMac wrote:"..I posted at 3:25 and you posted at 3:29.."

Thanks for that. I wasn't so much concerned about time but more to be courteous in allowing your "ROW" to reply to Paul whose last query was to you and your table. We're on daylight saving over here so the time showing 11.29pm on my post is actually 12.29. As i said, when I logged off last night I forgot to check back to the open forum - had I have done that I would have seen your reply and then deleted mine.
Cec
Cec

Postby paulcoz » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:41 pm

Thankyou so much...I've finally seen the light!:D

I made up a new, verified candidate list and factored in those eliminations (above) I could understand. Then, I proceeded as follows:

(1) a 3 must go somewhere in r9 in box 8, therefore 3 can be excluded from r9c9

(2) naked pairs 67 are in r7c8 and r9c9, therefore 6s and 7s can be excluded from the other squares in box 9

(3) a 7 must go somewhere in r8 in box 7, therefore 7s can be removed from r7 and r9 in box 7

(4) naked pairs 26 are in r4c2 and r7c2, therefore 6s can be excluded elsewhere in c2

That gives a placement of 6 in r3c3, which gives a placement of 2 in r2c3 and then the rest of the puzzle begins to unravel...

You guys are SO clever! Now, I don't feel quite so stupid.

Thanks again (Shazbot, QBasicMac, cecbevwr & em),
Paul.
paulcoz

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques