Do some Brain Age sudoku puzzles require some guessing?

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Do some Brain Age sudoku puzzles require some guessing?

Postby ***JULIA*** » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:17 pm

I have the first Nintendo DS Brain age, and am over half way through the advanced sudoku puzzles. Up until now i have been able to solve all the puzzles purely with logic. But i am now at a puzzle that looks to be impossible without making at least one guess. Do some puzzles require a bit of guessing, or should i be able to solve them all with pure logic? Thanks.

-Julia
***JULIA***

Postby ab » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi Julia,
this is one of those never ending debates in sudoku circles. There are some puzzles that require some detailed logical steps to crack them and some people suggest you may as well guess. Also the way some of these logical arguments are presented suggests that a guess was made to arrive at the solution (whenever an argument is presented like this I'm convinced there is another 'pattern based' argument that doesn't involve guessing).

To get a more detailed solution for a particular puzzle you're stuck on post the puzzle in the 'help with particular puzzles' section and someone will post what techniques you need to crack the puzzle. Alternatively download some solver software and put the puzzle in that.

I doubt the brain age puzzles require very difficult techniques. Sometimes you miss the obvious:!:
ab

Postby ***JULIA*** » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:54 pm

Thanks for the comment. Just wanted to let you know that, after obsessing over the puzzle for quite some time, i started over from sctrach and was able to solve it very quickly, without any guessing. It was like you said... i was missing the obvious. :P
***JULIA***

Postby lbgirlgamer » Mon May 04, 2009 12:41 am

I had that same problem.
lbgirlgamer

Return to General