Daily Telegraph Extreme Sudoku (21 May)

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Daily Telegraph Extreme Sudoku (21 May)

Postby RFB » Sat May 21, 2005 7:59 pm

Sudoku fans may want to have a look at Saturdays weekend section which features an extreme Sudoku.

This is a cube made up of nine Sudoku puzzles on top of each other where each plane through the cube forms a valid puzzle and even three of the six oblique planes also form valid puzzles.:!:

Deliberately each plane does not contain sufficient clues on its own to provide a unique logically solvable puzzle. You need to work on both horizontal and vertical puzzles together.

Unfortunately because Papacom's program insists that each puzzle be logically solvable it is not possible to load the incomplete puzzles into the program to work on.:(

See http://www.sudoku.org.uk/images/Dion%20Cube.pdf for details of the puzzle

Bob
RFB

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat May 21, 2005 9:34 pm

Well, I'm impressed. This could be what those who find the Very Hard puzzles in the program simple to do are looking for in order to stretch.

Me? Ah well, I'll have to wait and see. It's intriguing though.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Norb » Sun May 22, 2005 2:48 am

This can be completed without even using pencilmarks, and I need pencilmarks to complete a classic hard puzzle generated by pappocom's sudoku

Every box repeats the same pattern (although I refused to use that to help me solve it)

Once you realise about the way that boxes interact in 3D, the top 3 slices can be solved with very little reference to the other slices.

Likewise the bottom 3 slices.

then slice 5

followed by 6 and 4
Norb

Return to Published puzzles