Contest Levels

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Contest Levels

Postby DandRmom » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:30 pm

Today is the very first day I ever heard of Sudoku. It was in the Star-Ledger in NJ. I did the practice puzzle easily, but was upset because I had accidentally seen one of the numbers in the solution before solving (it was printed right next to the puzzle!!) Then I did the first "real" one they printed. It was rated very easy, and I have to say it was! Looking for a better challenge I did June's contest puzzle on this website. It was a bit harder but not too bad, so I was wondering what "level" I had done. I should add that I know nothing specific about logic, in terms of what the different official "techniques" are, but I have always been good at puzzles which require logic. Thanks!
DandRmom

Postby Pappocom » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:02 pm

The Contest puzzle on the Contest page is Easy.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Roz » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:14 pm

Try The Times UK newspaper for more levels.

They rate, very easy as easy, easy as medium, and hard as fiendish, they don't have the very hard level which the program has.
Roz

Postby Pseudo Kiwi » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:17 am

Is there consistency in the levels that different newspapers, programs, etc have?

The Times has Easy, Mild, Difficult and Fiendish. My local paper (NZ Herald) has Very Easy, Easy, Medium and Hard (and I think Very Hard as well on special occasions). The program has 5 or 6 different levels. Are all these levels "aligned"?

Roz - are you saying that there's actually a level above Fiendish?:!:

PK
Pseudo Kiwi

Postby Roz » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:22 pm

Pseudo Kiwi wrote:Roz - are you saying that there's actually a level above Fiendish?:!: PK

Yes lol:D . I assume you haven't got the program? The very hard generated by the program are more difficult. The Times fiendish equate to the programs hard level rather than the very hard level!
Roz

Postby avaar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:27 pm

Pappocom wrote:The Contest puzzle on the Contest page is Easy.

- Wayne

OMG! you mean it gets harder than this? My first puzzle was the contest puzzle on your website. Pretty good - I'm hooked.
avaar

Postby scrose » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:50 pm

avaar wrote:Pretty good - I'm hooked.

Hooray, another addict has joined our ranks! Welcome!

avaar wrote:OMG! you mean it gets harder than this?

Yes, the "hard" and "very hard" puzzles live up to their descriptions. Download the software and try some more "easy" puzzles. Once you get the hang of those, graduate to the "mediums". Leave the "hards" and "very hards" until you're good and ready.

I made the mistake of trying to solve "very hard" after I had only played my first few puzzles. It left me quite discouraged until I sharpened my skills on easier puzzles.
scrose

Postby Domino » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:58 pm

I have only just discovered Sukoku yesterday and bought my first book! Is there a way of playing online against other people - that would be really fun and there could be different levels of play so that beginners could improve?:)
Domino

Return to General