Cheating to use auto-pencil marks?

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Cheating to use auto-pencil marks?

Postby xscientist » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:51 am

Bkgd: I am mostly new to sudoku (couple of months, currently working my way through the SUPERIOR thread puzzles).

Question: I found early on that some errors were caused by my eagerness to get past initial pencilmarks, so now I use software to do this automatically (from DKM). Is this generally frowned upon? It seems like most solving techniques assume this initial state (pencil marks pre-filled).

Also - any suggestions for good software to use?

Thanks for any help.
xscientist

Re: Cheating to use auto-pencil marks?

Postby eleven » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:27 pm

xscientist wrote:Question: I found early on that some errors were caused by my eagerness to get past initial pencilmarks, so now I use software to do this automatically (from DKM). Is this generally frowned upon? It seems like most solving techniques assume this initial state (pencil marks pre-filled).
Strange, that such questions arise again and again. Please do what you like. Some like it without PM's, some on paper with few, others with full PM's, some with a program with PM's, some look for better solutions than the program suggests. All you have fun with is ok.
Also - any suggestions for good software to use?
I can recommend Sudoku Explainer and JSudoku.
eleven

Postby StrmCkr » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:28 pm

there is several types of solvers out there. depends on what you want it to do...

compare solutions paths (get many)
they all different by what order they are programed in.. and what is programed in them..

simply a pm filler pic your fill most or all accomplish that.

"frowned apon" never- its your own choice.

techniques do not assume penicmarks are there.

the grid tells you directly without them what can or cannt be in a space.

a technique is the application of combinations of restraints of what could be using only the knowledge given. you do not need pm to find them.
but to show what you mean it usually helps to list them out..

simple sudoku. http://angusj.com/sudoku/

Sudocue : http://www.sudocue.net/

sudoku explainer:
(mentioned above) getting old works well though missing some newer stuff.

hudoku: http://hodoku.sourceforge.net/

{latest and being updated alot:)
keep up the good work hobiwan!! }

( im liking hobiwans newest one very user friendly you can change the order of techniques or find alternative paths!)
Some do, some teach, the rest look it up.
stormdoku
StrmCkr

Postby daj95376 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 am

On the odd chance that your computer is running Windows 98 or ME, your best bet is Simple Sudoku from Angus Johnson. Many of the other programs available need Windows Net and JRE versions that aren't available for these systems.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

Re: Cheating to use auto-pencil marks?

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:07 am

xscientist wrote:.... Is this generally frowned upon? ....

Who's doing the frowning?

If you're solving a puzzle in the privacy of your own home, your use of software is none of anybody's business.

If you're playing in a Sudoku tournament, you'd better follow the rules of the tournament.

Back to the first case (your own home): If the software helps you solve more quickly, are you going to brag to your friends about how fast you can solve, without telling them you're using software? You'll have to answer that one yourself -- it's your personal moral dilemma.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Return to General