Cannot go further, pls help

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Cannot go further, pls help

Postby Maria » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Can someone tell me what next step is, the technique to be used, and explanation - trying to improve

Code: Select all
xx7/6xx/8xx
2xx/x1x/63x
6xx/x4x/2x5
-----------------
x2x/9xx/16x
x1x/3xx/x2x
x86/xxx/xxx
-----------------
x42/59x/786
87x/2xx/95x
569/x78/3x2


Thanks :D
Maria
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 19 March 2011

Re: Cannot go further, pls help

Postby JasonLion » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:27 am

Without pencil marks I can't tell exactly how far you have gotten. From the puzzle as presented, you will need several locked candidates, a few naked pairs, and a sashimi X-wing, also called a skyscraper, to reduce it to singles.
User avatar
JasonLion
2017 Supporter
 
Posts: 621
Joined: 25 October 2007
Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA

Re: Cannot go further, pls help

Postby eleven » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:48 am

Code: Select all
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | * . 7 | 6 . . | 8 . * |
 | 2 . . | . 1 . | 6 3 . |
 | 6 . * | . 4 . | 2 . 5 |
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | . 2 . | 9 . . | 1 6 . |
 | . 1 . | 3 . . | . 2 . |
 | . 8 6 | . . . | . . . |
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | * 4 2 | 5 9 . | 7 8 6 |
 | 8 7 * | 2 . . | 9 5 * |
 | 5 6 9 | . 7 8 | 3 . 2 |
 +-------+-------+-------+


Look at the 1 in columns 1, 3 and 9. You only have 2 possibilities each (cells marked *).
They are forming 2 skyscrapers in colums 19 (2 * being in row 1, one of r7c1 and r9c8 must be 1) and 39 (row 8, one of r3c3 or r1c9 must be 1), both solve the puzzle.

See here for skyscrapers.
eleven
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: 10 February 2008

Re: Cannot go further, pls help

Postby Maria » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:19 am

JasonLion wrote:Without pencil marks I can't tell exactly how far you have gotten. From the puzzle as presented, you will need several locked candidates, a few naked pairs, and a sashimi X-wing, also called a skyscraper, to reduce it to singles.

I will check on eleven's - thank you so much.
Maria
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 19 March 2011

Re: Cannot go further, pls help

Postby Maria » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:22 am

eleven wrote:
Code: Select all
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | * . 7 | 6 . . | 8 . * |
 | 2 . . | . 1 . | 6 3 . |
 | 6 . * | . 4 . | 2 . 5 |
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | . 2 . | 9 . . | 1 6 . |
 | . 1 . | 3 . . | . 2 . |
 | . 8 6 | . . . | . . . |
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | * 4 2 | 5 9 . | 7 8 6 |
 | 8 7 * | 2 . . | 9 5 * |
 | 5 6 9 | . 7 8 | 3 . 2 |
 +-------+-------+-------+


Look at the 1 in columns 1, 3 and 9. You only have 2 possibilities each (cells marked *).
They are forming 2 skyscrapers in colums 19 (2 * being in row 1, one of r7c1 and r9c8 must be 1) and 39 (row 8, one of r3c3 or r1c9 must be 1), both solve the puzzle.

See here for skyscrapers.


following yr advice and the link...... with patience I may succeeed - keep you posted - thanks for yr kind help
Maria
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 19 March 2011

Re: Cannot go further, pls help

Postby ronk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 am

Maria wrote:Can someone tell me what next step is, the technique to be used, and explanation

JasonLion wrote:Without pencil marks I can't tell exactly how far you have gotten.

Maria, are you even using pencilmarks? If not, it would be helpful to say so at the outset, otherwise most people will assume you are.

eleven wrote:Look at the 1 in columns 1, 3 and 9. You only have 2 possibilities each (cells marked *).
They are forming 2 skyscrapers in colums 19 (2 * being in row 1, one of r7c1 and r9c8 must be 1) and 39 (row 8, one of r3c3 or r1c9 must be 1), both solve the puzzle.

eleven, very nice pencilmark-less solution.
ronk
2012 Supporter
 
Posts: 4764
Joined: 02 November 2005
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: Cannot go further, pls help

Postby Maria » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:23 pm

ronk wrote:
Maria wrote:Can someone tell me what next step is, the technique to be used, and explanation

JasonLion wrote:Without pencil marks I can't tell exactly how far you have gotten.

Maria, are you even using pencilmarks? If not, it would be helpful to say so at the outset, otherwise most people will assume you are.

eleven wrote:Look at the 1 in columns 1, 3 and 9. You only have 2 possibilities each (cells marked *).
They are forming 2 skyscrapers in colums 19 (2 * being in row 1, one of r7c1 and r9c8 must be 1) and 39 (row 8, one of r3c3 or r1c9 must be 1), both solve the puzzle.

eleven, very nice pencilmark-less solution.


I am using nice pencilmarks... next time I will show.
Maria
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 19 March 2011

Re: Cannot go further, pls help

Postby Maria » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Maria wrote:
eleven wrote:
Code: Select all
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | * . 7 | 6 . . | 8 . * |
 | 2 . . | . 1 . | 6 3 . |
 | 6 . * | . 4 . | 2 . 5 |
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | . 2 . | 9 . . | 1 6 . |
 | . 1 . | 3 . . | . 2 . |
 | . 8 6 | . . . | . . . |
 +-------+-------+-------+
 | * 4 2 | 5 9 . | 7 8 6 |
 | 8 7 * | 2 . . | 9 5 * |
 | 5 6 9 | . 7 8 | 3 . 2 |
 +-------+-------+-------+


Look at the 1 in columns 1, 3 and 9. You only have 2 possibilities each (cells marked *).
They are forming 2 skyscrapers in colums 19 (2 * being in row 1, one of r7c1 and r9c8 must be 1) and 39 (row 8, one of r3c3 or r1c9 must be 1), both solve the puzzle.

See here for skyscrapers.


following yr advice and the link...... with patience I may succeeed - keep you posted - thanks for yr kind help




with this link everything is clear......
Maria
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 19 March 2011


Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques

cron