Brand new but VERY interested

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Brand new but VERY interested

Postby dcj1978 » Wed May 25, 2005 6:04 pm

I took a stab at the puzzle on the front page of the site first thing. I love puzzles and this looks awesome.

I got pretty far into it (I thought) when I got stuck. So, I threw up the white flag and did a mouse over to try to study where I went wrong. The problem was, I never went right. haha Almost every number I had placed was wrong.

I found a post from someone having a problem with this puzzle..

Code: Select all
375 **6 **8
261 **3 ***
984 5** 6**

1** *59 3**
*** 134 ***
**3 67* **9

**2 *61 *85
*** 9** 2**
6** *** *7*

And the reply was
You really should take a look at column 7

So I looked at c7 just to see if I could see what was being pointed out.

Right away, i'm stumped.. I have no idea where the clue is or what i'm looking for. After that post, someone wrote..
Earlier clue to look at column 7 gives 9 must be in r7 or r9 so can't be in r1 or r2 in that column.

Ok..that person explained the clue and I still didn't get it. heh. Why is it that 9 must be in r7 or r9? Why not r5? No other 9's in r5.

I guess i'm just not getting the basic idea of this thing. I thought I had it but after getting almost every # wrong on my first shot and reading these clues that confused me more, obviously i'm not.

Can anyone...would anyone be willing to help a brand new member in trying to overcome the hump that is keeping me from really jumping into these puzzles? A detailed explanation of why certain boxes "must have" certain #s in some puzzles...detailed "x-wing" info... A sort of, new member tutorial. heh

Thanks a lot to ..anyone willing to help.
dcj1978

Postby causbrite » Wed May 25, 2005 6:25 pm

One of the basic errors made. Each 3x3 box must have the numbers 1-9, and in box 6 you already have a 9 so thats why you cant put a 9 on r5.

Remember the basic rules are, each row and coloumn must have the numbers 1-9, and each 3x3 box, (9 of them covering R1C1:R3C3, R1C4:R3C6, R1C7:R3C9 etc etc) must have the numbers 1-9.

Dont worry about screwing up your first couple, I'm sure most of us did. But as you realise how it works you'll find them easier. Try to remember the basic rules and you should not go wrong.

Welcome to the crazy world of Sudoku!!!
causbrite

Postby dcj1978 » Wed May 25, 2005 6:55 pm

causbrite wrote:One of the basic errors made. Each 3x3 box must have the numbers 1-9, and in box 6 you already have a 9 so thats why you cant put a 9 on r5.

AHH! Man.. that small little detail makes things so much clearer for me! Thanks a ton!

Can't wait to dig into some of these things now!
dcj1978

Postby Animator » Wed May 25, 2005 6:58 pm

First things first: here is the other thread: http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=306

Second, you really shouldn't start with a Very hard puzzle...

Third, the clue was that there are three cells that can have only the numbers 1, 4 and 9 (r1c7, r7c7 and r9c7). This means that you can eliminate those three numbers as candidates from all other cells in that column. When you have done that, then there will be left only one place in box 6 for the number 1. I don't know if you can apply this to your grid, since you didn't post your solution... :)
Animator

Postby dcj1978 » Wed May 25, 2005 7:28 pm

Animator wrote:First things first: here is the other thread: http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=306

Second, you really shouldn't start with a Very hard puzzle...

Third, the clue was that there are three cells that can have only the numbers 1, 4 and 9 (r1c7, r7c7 and r9c7). This means that you can eliminate those three numbers as candidates from all other cells in that column. When you have done that, then there will be left only one place in box 6 for the number 1. I don't know if you can apply this to your grid, since you didn't post your solution...:)

Yah, I think I got it now. Causbrite pointed out my main flaw in how I was attacking the puzzle. A very beginner mistake indeed.

I had no idea the front page puzzle was a hard one. heh. Well, that makes me feel even better for FINALLY solving it!! But I agree.. I'll have to have a look at some of the lower level puzzles.

Thanks a lot for the help!
dcj1978

Postby Animator » Wed May 25, 2005 7:39 pm

What front page? where is it listed? the only place I see it is on this forum...
Animator

Postby dcj1978 » Wed May 25, 2005 11:29 pm

Animator wrote:What front page? where is it listed? the only place I see it is on this forum...

Just the sample puzzle on the main www.sudoku.com. The one you can mouse over to see the solution. I used it as practice.
dcj1978

Return to Advanced solving techniques