Bicycle Sudoku 50 puzzle cards bad

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Bicycle Sudoku 50 puzzle cards bad

Postby snoeyink » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:38 am

My son was given a pack of Bicycle sudoku cards (50 puzzles - 25 "easy" and 25 "difficult", made by the US Playing Card Company) as a birthday present. Each has a puzzle on one side and a solution on the back. It was frustrating to discover that the first five "easy" ones we tried had multiple solutions, so the only way to get them right was to "cheat" and look at the answers. Not the lesson I want a puzzle to teach...

My computer program finds about 400 solutions for the two difficult ones I typed in--I guess what they mean by difficult is that they make it highly improbable that you will find the solution they have printed. And their instructions claim that "only logic" is required...
snoeyink

Postby Animator » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:43 am

Then you should contact them... And for each puzzle supply atleast 2 (or more) solutions.

If all that is required is logic then there should be one unique solution.
Animator

Postby snoeyink » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Then you should contact them... And for each puzzle supply atleast 2 (or more) solutions.

I had done so by sending the first 5 cards with cells highlighted where one could permute numbers without disturbing a solution, and a letter expressing dissatisfaction. We got their "reply" yesterday -- a new box of defective cards exactly like the one we had returned and a packing slip. No written response to the letter.

Don't buy volume 1 of the Bicycle Sudoku cards.
snoeyink

Return to Published puzzles