batch solver with good difficulty analysis

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

batch solver with good difficulty analysis

Postby lath » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:03 pm

I absolutely love Sudoku Explainer except for one thing, it only works with one puzzle at a time!

Does anybody know of a free solver that will solve puzzles by the batch and tell you the validity and difficulty of the puzzle? Preferrably one as good as Sudoku Explainer.

Thanks!
lath

Postby tso » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:33 pm

Sudoku Susser will rate and sort many puzzles at once. Actually, it does not assign a rating, but instead gives you a description of what tactics it used to solve the puzzle. You may deselect any tactics you don't want it to use and set the order you want them applied to suit your solving style.

Suexrat9 and Suexrate, available here, will rate many puzzles at once.

Neither Sudoku Susser or Suexrat* will automatically sort out "high-steppers" and "low-steppers" -- but then neither does Sudoku Explainer. Suexrat* will give the identical rating to a puzzle that might be subjectively difficult because there is usually only 1 or 2 singles available at a time as one that would be much easier because a dozen singles are available at every step.

Glenn Fowler's program *can* do this and much more -- but the manual is *very* complex and very difficult for non-programmers to understand, myself included. There are examples of its usage scattered around the forum.
tso

Postby gsf » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:21 pm

tso wrote:Glenn Fowler's program *can* do this and much more -- but the manual is *very* complex and very difficult for non-programmers to understand, myself included. There are examples of its usage scattered around the forum.

I just ammended the CAVEATS
man wrote:Its easier to solve than to generate,
and easier to generate than to rate,
and much easier to code than to document.

there is a command line option that accepts a rating expression (and that is documented)
gsf
2014 Supporter

Postby Ruud » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:46 am

You can also rate sudoku collections with SudoCue. To handle multiple puzzles at once, the data must be in .sdm file format. The output, listing # of solving rounds, rating and techniques used, is written to a .scl file.

Both file formats are specified here and can also be opened with a text editor.

Ruud
Ruud

Re: batch solver with good difficulty analysis

Postby fermat » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:56 am

lath wrote:I absolutely love Sudoku Explainer except for one thing, it only works with one puzzle at a time!

Does anybody know of a free solver that will solve puzzles by the batch and tell you the validity and difficulty of the puzzle? Preferrably one as good as Sudoku Explainer.

Thanks!

I want to rate groups of puzzles also.

The format I have them in is, which I could change : (This from the 17s list)

Code: Select all
.2...6...4.......8.......31....8........3.....96...4.......476.3...1.5...........
..4.............1..2............54.61....9...8.......3...87......34....2.5.1.....
...9...........12.4....5.........5..7...6...4....1.....61.....3...7.8..5.2.......
...26...7..4.5......1.....3.......4..2....81.....3....7......2.9.......6.....1...
29......8...1.5..7....3......1.........8......7...6..45....4.........21........3.
83.....2....51..6......7.....1.........4...9.6.........4.8...........3.1.2......7
...43.5.....1.....76....2...13.....7..4..........82...2...5...........31.........
7.....9.3.6.1.4......2..........285.......7...1.........8.9....2...............41
...35.........67........12...1...........4..8..7.....35.......68.....4.....2.1...
........1..2......4.............564..1...9....8....3.....78....3...4.2....5.1....
6.1.....5....92.4...3.......9.......75..4..........1.....6........1....7.......84
....4........63..2..1............814......7.....95.....2.....5.4.......3...1.8...

Please be specific about commands and options required.

BTW: Ruud, I read your reply to the last similar request, I checked the link for format, it didn't help me.
I can adapt file format, I can read output. In between there may be some commands.

Edited to add: I reread Ruud's help file on file formats and got SQ batch solving, it works well.

Thanks.
fermat

Postby Protector » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:40 am

I have two bugs in Sudoku Explainer.
1-The button F2 worked before but now don't for some reason:(
2-When i choose diabolical difficulty to example.
If i choose "Exact difficulty"It gives puzzle with difficulty kinda from 6 to 7.5 but when i choose "Maximum difficulty" it gives me usually puzzle with 1.2-1.5 difficulty:?:
Protector

Postby Protector » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:44 am

Never mind about F2 key i made it work again.
But bug 2 is still problem.
Protector

Postby Pat » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:21 pm

Protector wrote:in Sudoku Explainer
When i choose diabolical difficulty
    If i choose Exact difficulty
    It gives puzzle with difficulty kinda from 6 to 7.5

but when i choose Maximum difficulty
    it gives me usually puzzle with 1.2-1.5 difficulty

when you request difficulty Exactly diabolical
you get Exactly diabolical

when you request difficulty Not Greater Than diabolical
you usually get something quite lower

lath wrote:I absolutely love Sudoku Explainer except for one thing,
it only works with one puzzle at a time!

Does anybody know of a free solver that will solve puzzles by the batch
and tell you the validity and difficulty of the puzzle?
Preferrably one as good as Sudoku Explainer.

Nicolas Juillerat wrote:There is now an unsupported way of analysing many Sudokus at once:
Code: Select all
java -cp SudokuExplainer.jar diuf.sudoku.test.Tester sudoku.txt result.txt

where "sudoku.txt" is a file with Sudokus, one line of 81 digits per puzzle;
and "result.txt" is the file in which analysis results are saved.

Pat

Postby Protector » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:24 am

What do you mean "Not greater the Diabolical"?
When i hold mouse arrow at "Maximum" box it says
"Generate sudoku with maximum of chosen difficulty"
Something is quite wrong.
Protector

Postby udosuk » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:53 am

Protector wrote:What do you mean "Not greater the Diabolical"?
When i hold mouse arrow at "Maximum" box it says
"Generate sudoku with maximum of chosen difficulty"
Something is quite wrong.

"Generate sudoku with maximum of chosen difficulty" means that you will get a puzzle of difficulty ranging from 0 to the one you choose.

For example, if the difficulty chosen is 7.5, you will get a puzzle with a rating somewhere between 0 and 7.5, so it won't be surprising if you get puzzles of SE 1.5 etc. That setting only rejects any puzzle of SE 7.6 or higher.

Nothing is wrong there.
udosuk

Postby Protector » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:12 pm

So confusing. Then why it saying "Maximum" ok never mind.
If it's not a bug then just leave it.
Protector

Postby udosuk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:54 pm

Protector wrote:So confusing. Then why it saying "Maximum" ok never mind.
If it's not a bug then just leave it.

Yes I agree it's a bit confusing. To cater for global users Sudoku Explainer could have used simpler English, such as "Generate Sudoku with difficulty NOT higher than the chosen". The usage of "Maximum" there might confuse users whose first language isn't English.
udosuk

Return to Software