Basic Solving Techniques

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Basic Solving Techniques

Postby Sebastian » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:05 am

Hello All, I've recently purchased my first book of Sudoko-- a Wayne Gould collection. The book is prefaced with a short intro on solving techniques and goes as far as Doubletons. Is this all I need to solve these puzzles?
I've found some of the puzzles completely impenetrable and I wonder if I'm expected to understand the 'Advanced Solving Techniques' or not.

I've watched the Thomas Snyder videos on Youtube and they don't mention the use of any of the advanced techniques. Does TS use them? Are they really necessary?

Your replies are appreciated.

Regards,
Sebastian.
Sebastian

Postby Pat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:38 am

Sebastian wrote:I've found some of the puzzles completely impenetrable

hi Sebastian

could you please post just one "impenetrable" puzzle
    then we can tell you what it does or doesn't need
Pat

Postby ab » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:23 pm

I've inherited one Wayne Gould book. It's a collection published by the Times. None of the puzzles require more than singles, locked candidates and pairs.

The Sunday Times used to publish Superior puzzles, which also required x-wings and/or triples. So some of his puzzle books may have puzzles needing those techniques too. I doubt any of his puzzles require other techniques. I believe that versions of his software rate puzzles requiring harder techniques as 'unfair' or something like that. I haven't actually got the shftware though so that's second hand info.
ab

Postby Pat » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:53 pm

as far as i know,
Wayne Gould's puzzles may need --
  • "singles"
  • box-line interactions
  • duos
  • trios
  • quartets
  • X-wings
  • simple Swordfish (3r\3c or 3c\3r)
but not