August 29, 2015

Post puzzles for others to solve here.

Re: August 29, 2015

Postby DonM » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:03 pm

ronk wrote:
David P Bird wrote:No-one can copyright such a basic word as 'loop'. Nice Loops are geographic; they follow a chain of inferences until they return to the start point. AIC loops are logical; they are only made when a circuit of alternating inferences is completed, otherwise they simply remain as open ended chains.

From a progammer's point of view then, what are the rules to determine if an elimination exists for both the AIC loop case and the "open-ended" chain case?

As a solver, isn't this a simple matter of an 'open-ended ' AIC chain inferring a discontinuity and hence an elimination and an AIC loop inferring that all weak links are proven strong with the associated eliminations? As a former programmer, I don't understand how a programmer's point of view is relative or helpful here.
DonM
2013 Supporter

Postby David P Bird » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Ronk, if your question was meant for me, I refer you to the response you gave me to <my last question> to you.

DPB
David P Bird
2010 Supporter

Postby ronk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:49 pm

DonM wrote:
ronk wrote:
David P Bird wrote:No-one can copyright such a basic word as 'loop'. Nice Loops are geographic; they follow a chain of inferences until they return to the start point. AIC loops are logical; they are only made when a circuit of alternating inferences is completed, otherwise they simply remain as open ended chains.
From a programmer's point of view then, what are the rules to determine if an elimination exists for both the AIC loop case and the "open-ended" chain case?
As a solver, isn't this a simple matter of an 'open-ended ' AIC chain inferring a discontinuity and hence an elimination and an AIC loop inferring that all weak links are proven strong with the associated eliminations? As a former programmer, I don't understand how a programmer's point of view is relative or helpful here.

The programmer's POV was to suggest that I was looking for an answer with precision and completeness. For example:
Code: Select all
Given AIC (a)W .... (b)X

if ( W == X ) {
        if ( a == b ) { W = a }
        else { we have AIC loop }
    } else if ( W and X are peers ) {
        if  ( a == b ) { we have AIC loop }
        else { W <> b and X <> a  }
    } else if ( W and X share peers ) {
        if ( a == b ) { eliminate a from peers of both W and X }
    }

Doesn't a manual solver have to mentally use a similar process?

daj95376, would you please critique the above pseudo-code?
ronk
2012 Supporter

Previous

Return to Puzzles