Asahi Pure Logic Sudoku Champoinship

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Asahi Pure Logic Sudoku Champoinship

Postby catieblink » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:01 pm

hya

has anyone here heard of the Asahi Pure Logic Sudoku Champoinship or entered. Asahi beer is searching for Britain’s No.1 Sudoku Champion and thefinal is in Feb

I entered and got in.
:D

Its being hosted and run by Micheal Mepham who does the daily telegraphs sudokus.

I average at about 5-10 mins for his diabolical puzzles, but get quite frustrated with him. a large number of hid diabolical puzzles rely on adriane's thread, which is a guess on what to try first and that can eat up precious mins, espech in a competition.

what does you think of Micheal Mepham's puzzles and anyone else in the competition???

catieblink

catieblink

Postby PaulIQ164 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:39 pm

As I understand it, the DT puzzles now no longer ever require trial and error. I highly dislike it too. I think the Telegraph's puzzles are now (almost) on a par with Pappocom's
PaulIQ164

Postby tso » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:30 pm

Rather than just repeat for the 50th time that regardless of what anyone tells you, no Sudoku *requires* guessing, trial and error or even adriane's thread or make some oddball analogy like "if you don't know how a remote control works, it appears to be magic" or point out that there are puzzles we once thought were nearly impossible that are now nearly trivial -- I'll say this: It's an odd thing to brag that one can solve "diabolical" puzzles -- presumably the highest level -- in 5 or 10 minutes, and at the same time, complain that they should be easier. Is anyone solving the highest level acrostics, cryptics and crosswords in 5 or 10 mintues? Does anyone complain that they use words beyond the solver's vocabulary? All this because of Wayne's advertising hype that "my puzzles don't require guessing like *some* puzzles do"? I suppose you thing that your brand of laundry soap really makes your whites whiter.

I for one *did* like the old Mempham Diabolicals. I never required trial and error or adriane's thread to solve one.
tso

Postby catieblink » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:44 pm

wasn't saying they should be easier. I just get more satisfaction from a puzzle that I feel i have completed by just logic, mabey im missing a trick.

I wasn't bragging about 5-10 mins. im sure there are plenty of people who can do them faster. just wanted to share my times and hear other peoples.
catieblink

Postby PaulIQ164 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:45 pm

Yes, I always forget to mention, largley because I by now take it as a given, that no sudoku requires pure trial and error. It all depends on what techniques you like and what techniques you don't. There's a broad consensus (I'd say) among publishers about what level of techniques is suitable for a daily newspaper puzzle (e.g., it is absurd to expect a solver to plot a bivalue location graph in the space between the puzzle and the Bose stereo advert), and ones above this are often termed as "requires trial and error" which is really shorthand for something like:

"This puzzle cannot be solved with the techniques we deem suitable for a daily pen-and-paper puzzle. It can, like all puzzles, be solved with more advanced techniques, which some consider to be disguised trial and error, while others condier them perfectly valid tactics entirely comparable with the simpler tactics."
PaulIQ164

re: "Asahi Pure Logic Sudoku championship"

Postby Pat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:38 am

catieblink wrote:has anyone here heard of the Asahi Pure Logic Sudoku Champoinship or entered.

Asahi Beer is searching for Britain’s Sudoku Champion, and the final is in Feb

February is here,
what's happening?

~ Pat
Pat

Postby catieblink » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:06 pm

pat did you enter? If so,you should have your invitation. its going to be in london on the 18th. should be fun.

anyone esle going?
catieblink

Return to General