answer places ?

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

answer places ?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:17 am

:?::?:does it matter where the answers are put ? how do u put them in there places and how ? and why ? what if someone just made a random sudoku and put random 25 clues. would it be possible to complete ? or it CAN be impossible ??[/b]

Postby johnw » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:33 am

I could give you a grid with only 5 clues:
Code: Select all
-------------------------
| . . . | 4 6 . | . . . |
| . . 7 | . . . | . . . |
| . . . | . . . | . 7 . |
| . . . | . . 7 | . . . |
| . . . | . . . | . . . |

It is already impossible. Whatever other numbers you add it's still impossible.
johnw

Postby angusj » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:48 am

johnw wrote:I could give you a grid with only 5 clues:

Elegantly put. I started an explanation and gave up - yours is much better than my attempt was ever going to be.
angusj

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:48 pm

so really... on a normal sudoku puzzle are the clues placed in a designated spot ?
i ask this becuase i made a sudoku puzzle and i didnt know where to put the clues so i just put them random (27 i put on) and then gave it to my friend and he couldnt figure it out, maybe its too difficult for him, maybe something went wrong about the way i put the clues ?
any suggestions ?

Postby scrose » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:33 pm

Have you tried putting the puzzle you created into a solver to see if solution is indeed possible? Could you please post your puzzle here to let the rest of us have a crack at it. You might be interested in this tutorial about creating sudoku puzzles.
scrose

Postby RFB » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:34 pm

It is quite difficult to make a valid sudoku that has a single solution that can be solved.
You certainly can't do it by placing numbers at random.
See http://www.pro.or.jp/~fuji/java/puzzle/numplace/makesudoku/sudoku01.html.en
for a guide.
RFB

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:55 pm

yeah thats the site i learned how to make sudoku and at the end it didnt tell me where i should put the answers. LOL .hrmmmmz yeah i should try the solver... Do u know how pappocom does it maybe ? like , they generate the puzzle yeah and then when the generating is complete does it give a puzzle with clues and empty boxes.. or does it generate the full thing with all the the answers everywhere. and then if it does then how dus pappocom know where to put the clues ?
well really i just want to know wher i can place the clues..:?::(:?:

Postby scrose » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:06 pm

kingofthenile wrote:yeah thats the site i learned how to make sudoku and at the end it didnt tell me where i should put the answers.

I think you should re-read the tutorial because it does explain how to place the clues. The very first step is choosing which cells will contain the clues. In the tutorial, the blue shaded cells will hold the clues.
scrose

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:18 pm

yeah i did read that but what about the next time i want to put clues ? so am i gona have to put clues located in the same place forever now ?
if not than can anyone help me out ?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:28 pm

so i tryed the sudoku solver and then it it couldnt figure it out yeah. so im guessing i cant put them in random places that i have chosen. so really im asking now , does anyone know the method of putting clues and the 411 of it???

Postby scrose » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:28 pm

You don't have to use the same arrangement blue cells every time. Although not indicated in the tutorial, you get to choose how many blue cells and where they are located. I would suggest starting with at least thirty, even as many as forty or fifty, blue cells arranged in a symmetrical pattern. The more blue cells you start with, the easier it should be to create a puzzle. As the tutorial recommends, once you have created a few puzzles and are comfortable doing so, gradually reduce the number of blue cells you begin with. Don't rush into trying to create a puzzle that only has 27 clues.
scrose

Postby scrose » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:33 pm

kingofthenile wrote:so i tryed the sudoku solver and then it it couldnt figure it out

Please post your puzzle here so we can examine it.
scrose

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:49 pm

nah cbf man dw about it relax lahhh.. thx neway scrose and all the other fellas u guys are champs !!!:D

Return to General