Another Way to Represent Candidates (2)

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby Kibitzer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:12 pm

Many people at this forum and in general are concerned with the way candidates are represented. The method offered here, bypasses the need of “pencilling in”. It is meant for solving on paper and works well up to the “hard” level and maybe beyond. I believe it’s a great help for seeing things differently. Everyone doing sudoku has his/her own idiosyncratic way which suits him/her best. However I think the approach presented here is more general than that and can be applied widely. The topic was published here before, but was graphically inferior and did not convey the notion properly. So I thought it might be a good idea to improve on it and post it once again.

The title of this topic is somewhat misleading. Not only does this method dispense with pencil marks. It also enables crosshatching and actual placement of candidates. This additional all-important capability entirely escaped my attention. Although I was doing it all the time, I was biased and it occured to me only recently.

So, to be precise, the title actually should read: “Another Way to Represent, Crosshatch and Find Placement of Candidates”.

While solving a puzzle, how does one know at a given time that he has exhausted all possiblities with “slice and dice”and he’s really stuck at a lower level? The answer to this is – he does’nt know. At least he’s not sure.

If done properly, (which is easy), the method described below, tells you exactly when to use more advanced techniques, if at all. It’s a matter of efficiency.

When I do sudoku, I do the usual slicing and dicing until I ‘m stuck or the going gets harder and slower. Then I take a plain sheet of paper and put down the candidate situation of the nine boxes as it is at this stage. The boxes are numbered from 1 to 9 in a left to right, up to bottom fashion and in the same way do I relate to each blank cell within each of the 9 boxes. Taking the following box of a puzzle as an example:

I notice that there are 5 missing candidates in this box. They are: 2 3 5 8 and 9, which means there are also 5 blank cells to be filled by the above candidates. So I relate or enumerate mentally only the blank cells from 1 to 5 in the same left to right, up to bottom fashion. Then, on the sheet of paper I put down the 5 candidates in 5 rows, each row for one of the 5 blank cells, in this way:

and start checking each cell, crossing out the candidates that are’nt possible for that cell. Then I scan the table horizontally to find naked singles and vertically for hidden singles. For example, if after examination, the above table of candidates looks
like this:

it means that nothing was achieved yet . So I go on to another box (not necessarily to the next one), make a table of its candidates and cross out those which are’nt feasible for its blank cells. Then I scan horizontally and vertically as before. Now, if I’m more lucky and the topography of the box looks like this:

it means that we have found 6 to be a naked single in cell No.1 and cell No.3 to be the only one which may receive a 4, that is a hidden single. So I encircle the 6 in cell No.1, and cross out vertically all other appearances of 6 in the remaining cells. Next, I encircle the 4 in cell No.3 and cross out horizontally all other irrelevant candidates for that cell.

Vertical elimination for naked singles and horizontal for hidden singles is not some kind of mannerism. It’s so because the naked 6 was found after scanning the table horizontally, so that value must be crossed out from all other cells vertically. On the other hand, the hidden 4 was found after scanning the table vertically and since it occupies a particular cell, all other values from that cell must be eliminated horizontally. Actually, this is how the naked singles differ from hidden singles. Moreover, by using this candidate representation, the hidden singles are no more hidden!

So our table now looks like this:

If possible, I then update the candidate tables of the neighboring boxes and see if a breakthrough can be achieved there too. The updating is very important. Not doing it accurately or not doing it at all, may result in lost opportunities, to say the least. Only in the final stages, when your puzzle falls apart like a house of cards, can you afford not to update. Of course we insert the 6 and 4 in their relevant cells of the puzzle which was our purpose in the first place.

By the way, instead of making candidate tables for boxes, you can do the same for rows and columns. But I found the box table ergonomically more suitable and solver- friendly.

Of course, since candidate representation is performed externally, the sheet of candidate tables must be used with puzzle at hand in combination.

Of special interest to the solver are pairs, triples and maybe quads. Fortunately, these too are quite visible in such a candidate representation. Even their orientation can be deduced quite easily. Finally, since candidate representation in this way is done externally, it saves us the clutter of “pencilling in” and leaves the puzzle clean and workable.

Now, let us have a closer look at the system, Given the following puzzle:

The slicing and dicing procedure takes us this far (or maybe a bit further, but for our purpose, it’s immaterial):

And the candidate tables of the 9 boxes are:

Which after scrutiny becomes:

Whereupon:
r2c4 = 3 (naked single).
r4c5 = 3 (naked single)
r8c8 = 7 (naked single).

And the tables are updated accordingly:

After having inserted our findings in the puzzle, we must update the tables to reflect the recent changes:

Whereupon two hidden singles and three naked ones become apparent:
r1c8 = 6 (naked single).
r3c4 = 7 (hidden single).
r7c5 = 7 (hidden single).
r7c8 = 1 (naked single).
r8c4 = 5 (naked single).

Please note: As we update the tables, new singles may pop up. They are easy to spot. Of course, at this stage we could have done some slicing and dicing as well or prefer some other technique. (Actually this puzzle embodies an x-wing pattern too). So the general idea is:

1. While going is possible – do some slicing and dicing.
2. Got stuck? – resort to candidate topography tables and update changes.
3. While going is possible – do some more slicing and dicing and update tables.
4. Got stuck again? – try x-wing, swordfish or whatever other technique at your disposal, untill puzzle is completed.

Thanks for your attention, and do have a try at it:!: . Your comments,:?: and:idea: will be much appreciated.

Kibitzer
Last edited by Kibitzer on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Kibitzer

Postby emm » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:46 pm

I can see how the system works, and it could be really good for people starting off and getting their eye into the puzzle. For me the challenge is to do the working out in my head without writing anything on paper at all – pencil marks or otherwise – and I hope I’d pick up hidden and naked singles without going through the written exercise.
emm

Postby Kibitzer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:35 pm

Hi em

Nice to see you again. Your'e right, it was not meant for guys like you. However most mortals still use "pencilling in".

Regards
Kibitzer

Postby emm » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:31 pm

Hi Kibitzer, it’s nice to see you again too - it seems like a long time since you introduced the SAS to Sudoku!:D This new version doesn’t seem quite as action-packed as the first, but I must say the graphics are pretty spectacular.

I hope I haven’t I stymied your thread and that others respond to your method. For a long time I didn’t dream of solving puzzles without marking and had bucketfuls of pencilmarks all over the puzzle. I could’ve done with a system that cleared the decks!
emm

Postby Shazbot » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:03 pm

Thanks Kibitzer - the mess of pencilling in has stopped me doing anything more than the most basic puzzles on paper. When I first skimmed through your method I thought "that'll use up a lot of paper" but see now that's not the case. I'm going to keep your instructions handy and try it next time my PC is commandeered by my 4YO and I need a Sudoku fix!
Shazbot

A puzzle for the attention of the SAS

Postby Kibitzer » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:34 am

em wrote:Hi Kibitzer, it’s nice to see you again too - it seems like a long time since you introduced the SAS to Sudoku!:D This new version doesn’t seem quite as action-packed as the first, but I must say the graphics are pretty spectacular.

Hi em

The credit for introducing the SAS to sudoku must go to you. I only picked up that thread of yours and carried it on a bit further.

Hey, did I mention the SAS? Here’s a puzzle for their attention. It’s parents are some very obscure naked pair at The Sun. Naturally it was named SUNDOKU. The code was classified by The Sun as extreme(ly) secret if not diabolical, but I managed to get it through (you know, special connections). Here it is and I wish the SAS happy puzzling:!:

Image:?:

Kibitzer
Kibitzer

Postby emm » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:14 pm

That’ll stump them! But I’d keep those connections very quiet if I were you Kibitzer. If something like this leaks out, there could be... (you know, trouble!)
emm

Postby Kibitzer » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:30 pm

Shazbot wrote:Thanks Kibitzer - the mess of pencilling in has stopped me doing anything more than the most basic puzzles on paper. When I first skimmed through your method I thought "that'll use up a lot of paper" but see now that's not the case. I'm going to keep your instructions handy and try it next time my PC is commandeered by my 4YO and I need a Sudoku fix!

Hi Shazbot. Sorry for the delay.

Although my presentation is quite lenghty, the method is very simple to apply. What you’ll need is a single sheet of paper, put down the present candidate situation of the 9 blocks in 9 neat square-like tables, cross out the irrelevant candidates and off you go!

In case you’ve done the slice and dice and missed some candidate placement, which is normal because we’re all homo sapiens, you’ll see the singles, naked, hidden and all, pop up as ducks in a shooting gallery.

At this point I must say that you don’t even have to write down all the 9 blocks at once. Try one or two of the most promising at random and see what happens. As you progress and your blocks blacken, the next table will be shorter, which means less work and more fun.

It’s possible to prepare the sheet using a wordprocessor. You input the missing block candidates in a row, use “copy” and “paste” and have your block situation printed out in a minute. I mean the basic block situation. The irrelevant candidates you cross out manually as you go.

As I’ve pointed out earlier in my presentation, the method has many advantages over “pencilling in” and seems to be a fine instrument to advance to higher level sudoku.

Do have a try at it and good luck!:)

kibitzer
Kibitzer

Postby Kibitzer » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:58 pm

em wrote:
For a long time I didn’t dream of solving puzzles without marking and had bucketfuls of pencilmarks all over the puzzle.

and also:

em wrote:
For me the challenge is to do the working out in my head without writing anything on paper at all – pencil marks or otherwise – and I hope I’d pick up hidden and naked singles without going through the written exercise.

This is very interesting. Because what you say, has another aspect too. I'll explain:

When I've done the slice and dice and further progress is'nt possible. It would be nice to spot, an x-wing, swordfish etc. pattern (of course if it's in there), without using a computer solver which enables filtering. Unfortunately I have great difficulty to find such patterns manually even if I know the x-wing or whatever is there.

So, do you imply also that you're able to spot such patterns mentally with no help of a solver? And if so, can you give us a hint?

Kibitzer
Kibitzer

Postby emm » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:36 am

Hi Kibitzer - the puzzles I solve without pencil marks are Med / Hards which I know won't require those advanced techniques. You can find singles, pairs and triples without candidate marking – in fact I think locked candidates are actually easier to recognise because you’re not distracted by all the possibilities cluttering up the grid.

A far as more advanced techniques go - I can’t do VHards without pencil marks. I suppose I might chance upon an Xwing but I’d probably need a Vulcan mind-meld before I could picture them mentally (I think that’s the wrong movie!)

The pencil-free method does involve a fair bit of repetition as there’s a limit to how many numbers I can remember at once - it's certainly not the quickest method of solving but for some reason it’s very satisfying. But for the more advanced techniques discussed here, I'd load the puzzle into a solver and get all the pencil marks done automatically.
emm

Postby Kibitzer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi em,

Please listen to this. I’ts quite amazing and maddening. How could this escape my attention? To see what I mean, please press "Home" right where you are and read the text at the beginning, marked in red.

Thanx a lot
Kibitzer
Kibitzer

Postby emm » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:02 am

Hi Kibitzer - yes, I did assume, even though it was unstated, that the point of the system was to eliminate candidates. Good luck with the solving!:D
emm

Further Simplified for the simple among us

Postby DYoung » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:06 pm

I have started using a technique VERY much simular to the one mentioned in this thread. For others, who like me prefer solving on paper, have difficulty visualizing candidate interactions among the clutter, and abhor the tedium of cell by cell 'slice and dice' I believe it was called, I will share my method.

Like the original author I use a seperate paper and create an array of tables that represent the candidates. I created a pristine and complete array though since I have not even begun working on or even choosen a puzzle. My method was to use excel to create a row of 1-9 with each number in its own cell and liberally cut and paste then print landscaped and fit to page.

So each table is labled and arranged on the paper according to its Box#. and consists of 9 rows of the numbers 1 to 9. This being the common starting point for all puzzles I print or photocopy a few of these before settling in for some solving.

The next step is to "transcribe" your puzzle onto this array. Simply circle each candidate on your array that maps to the given clues.

From this point follow the original authors advice as far as what to cross out by row, column and among linked tables. This for me has eliminated the drudgery of recordkeeping while allowing me to continue solving on paper, also without cluttering the puzzle by interleaving knowns and candidates.

On that let me add, when the enivitable point is reached, and in any puzzle of a challenging level it will, the simplified candidates list can be transfered to a second spare paper with a standard Su Doku layout absent the solved cells. This has helped me to visualize the interactions and find information that would otherwise to me be hidden.

So for those like me out there, try as I have described and see if this assists you.
DYoung

Re: Further Simplified for the simple among us

Postby Kibitzer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:43 am

DYoung wrote:I have started using a technique VERY much simular to the one mentioned in this thread. For others, who like me prefer solving on paper, have difficulty visualizing candidate interactions among the clutter, and abhor the tedium of cell by cell 'slice and dice' I believe it was called, I will share my method..

Hi DYoung,

Thanks for the post. It’s only natural that someone else, solving on paper, should come up with yet another method to represent candidates externally, because the problem cries out for a solution.

It seems to me that your method is even more general than mine, because as you say it suits every possible puzzle. However, it's a bit difficult to folllow, so, it would be nice if you could describe it in more detail, maybe backed up with graphics and send it in here or as an independent topic. I would call it: “Yet Another Way to Represent Candidates”.:)

There is great difference between “slice and dice” and “crosshatching”. The first is usually the initial procedure, which you apply, while moving freely among several boxes simultaneousely, trying to fill empty cells as much as you can. Crosshatching, is the procedure where you concentrate on a single box, analyzing cells one by one, when slice/dice runs out of steam. Crosshatching is what my candidate tables are all about. You can’t solve tough puzzles without it and I presume, this is what you are referring to.

I have found an excellent explanation on these in: http://www.paulspages.co.uk/sudoku/index.htm Thanks to Paul!

Kibitzer
Kibitzer

Return to Advanced solving techniques