Another possible solving strategy - What do you think?

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Another possible solving strategy - What do you think?

Postby brucec » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:27 am

Hey, I am 3 days new at Sudoku. So, I hardly consider myself good at it just yet. I am still doing the easy puzzles just to build up my confidence and so far it is going well. I screwed up just one out of 4 puzzles. Not bad.

I came up with another solving method that I do not see mentioned here. Maybe it has been mentioned on this forum or you may be already doing it this way. If so, please forgive me.

I start with the numbers in numerical order just to keep it orderly. obviously starting at 1. I look for the possible solutions column by column, starting at column 1 and going all the way to column 9. In other words, I will look for all the possible occurances of 1 in column 1 then column 2, then column 3 and so on. Then, start it over with 2 and all the way through 9.

Before I move to the next number, I try to get the number solved in each of the 9 boxes or I pencil it into each box.

It actually goes pretty quickly and it keeps the sudoku solutions well organized.

Has anybody tried it this way and what do you think?
brucec

Postby emm » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:52 am

Well, bruce, I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but I don't think that this is new.

Not to worry - we all had to start somewhere and almost everyone can look back at some blinding insight they not only had, but published yikes, only to find that everyone else was yawning. It's OK- really! The thing to do is move on and add more strategies to your repertoire.

Here's a great place to start - http://angusj.com/sudoku/hints.php
emm

Return to Advanced solving techniques