Another blunder from the Times website people

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Another blunder from the Times website people

Postby udosuk » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:41 pm

I tried to retrieve the solution for the puzzles from 2 Fridays ago (April 21, 2006), but what I found was this page, which was in fact same as the solution for the puzzles on the previous day (Thu April 20, 2006)...

I wonder why not a single soul bothered on that particular day...

Anyway incompetent website management like this throws me off...:(
udosuk

Postby jimbob » Mon May 01, 2006 9:14 am

If it was the Friday 21st April Killer solution you wanted, don't despair.

The Times published exactly the same killer on Saturday 29th April, so maybe there will be a second chance for a published solution. How they can do this without a word of explanation is beyond me.

Actually since you posted this in the Pappocom papers forum, it may not
be the killer you wanted.
jimbob

Postby udosuk » Mon May 01, 2006 3:30 pm

Thanks jimbob for replying...

I guess I don't really need the solutions (I believe I still have the ability to work them out)... But the point is that they screwed up and did not bother to fix the problem and nobody else bothered which puzzled me... And it's supposed to be one of the major newspaper in the world...
udosuk

Credibility?

Postby BlazerMom » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:30 pm

It's interesting that a major newspaper's value comes into question over a relatively trivial matter, considering the state of the world. Not that our puzzles are trivial - certainly not to us here! It's like losing trust in your newspaper when they spell your kid's name wrong. Credibility is always in the details.
I am not disagreeing, by the way.
I expect every detail to be right, every day.
BlazerMom

Postby udosuk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks for digging this thread up from 2-3 months back... The thing that surprised me more was with the huge reader base of the Times none of those who visited the website discovered this error and reported it back to them... Either very few people was accessing their puzzles online or the majority just chose to stay silent (like me:( )...

I've reported problems to their tech support department for other errors during last month (they were fixed quite promptly) but as far as I know that particular mistake (missing solution) was not fixed at all... And I wouldn't bother to ask them to repair it now...

I must say these small errors (and their inability to repair them) wouldn't make the Times an incompetent public media... I'm sure they all try hard to get the details of more serious news reports/social issues right... And I wouldn't comment on their standpoint on political matters such as the wars etc...
udosuk

Return to Published puzzles