a small question

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

a small question

Postby tzachi » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:51 pm

is there a method to solve a soduko puzzle which is not base on the elimination paradigm ?
the implemetation of all the elimination technics is very tedious .

sincerely
tzachi

Postby roger888 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:08 pm

Personally, I don't agree that (the majority of) the techniques elaborated here are "based on the elimination paradigm". They're based on logic. Elimination is a heuristic: a methodology which allows you clear away extraneous matter so you can apply logic more easily.

The logical syntax is of the form If A then B then not C therefore D. It's theoretically possible to spot such logical deductions without eliminating anything -- just rather hard in practice.

I guess T&E is qualitatively different, but that's another issue....
roger888

Postby tzachi » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:48 pm

you are right , but perhaps there there are different ways .
for example maybe it is possible to start with arbitrary complete legal puzzle and manipulate it so it will maintain it's legallity.
for example switching between rows/colomns that share the same 3*3 box .
the goal is that after those manipulations it will correspond with our initial incomplete puzzle .

any suggestion on the idea ?
tzachi

Postby roger888 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:59 pm

If I understand your proposal correctly...

Perhaps you should review the posts in Sudoku's maths

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=44

about the numbers of possible legal grids. I suspect that the task of getting from one these, arbitrarily selected, back to a given puzzle start state is orders of magnitude greater than working forward from a puzzle to a solution
roger888

Return to Software