A "hard" puzzle

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

A "hard" puzzle

Postby GunnerMcGrath » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:04 am

I've used all the beginner and intermediate techniques I know.. haven't been able to find a good guide to explain a lot of the terms I see being used here, so if you can either explain with more than just the name of the technique, or include a link to a good example of how to do it, that would be greatly appreciated. I've solved this by trial and error on R1C1 but I'd like to know a better technique to solve it. Thanks!

GunnerMcGrath

Postby Ruud » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:20 am

The numbers 1,4,9 are locked in row 7, box 8.

You can eliminate 4 from r7c3 and r7c8.

A single 4 in r1c3 opens up the puzzle.
Ruud

Re: A "hard" puzzle

Postby ncantoral » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:46 pm

GunnerMcGrath wrote:I've used all the beginner and intermediate techniques I know.. haven't been able to find a good guide to explain a lot of the terms I see being used here, so if you can either explain with more than just the name of the technique, or include a link to a good example of how to do it, that would be greatly appreciated. I've solved this by trial and error on R1C1 but I'd like to know a better technique to solve it. Thanks!

nice grid. did you find that grid online? I been looking for some big grids to print out.
ncantoral

Postby Carcul » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:55 pm

GunnerMcGrath, look carefully to the cells r1c45, r4c24, r5c35, and r8c23: if r4c4 is not 4, then your puzzle would have more than one solution.
Carcul

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques