8 X 9 Grid Washington Post

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

8 X 9 Grid Washington Post

Postby kblissdc » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:18 pm

The Washington Post this morning has a puzzle, categorized as "hard" that's on a 8 X 9 grid. Is this legit or a mistake? I hate to start something that's impossible. If it is legit, I assume the missing 9th column wouldn't necessarily have to contain one of each number.

Thanks,
kblissdc

Postby dentiloquy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:59 pm

I've been looking for an answer to this question myself. I am almost certain it's a misprint, because sudoku.com doesn't recognize the first 5 given numbers of the 8x9 grid in its solution index. Leads me to believe that the column is indeed missing and that the missing column contains at least one number in the upper right 3x3 box.

Please post if you find the missing column. I've tried searching WashingtonPost.com but they don't have sudoku in their online paper yet.
dentiloquy

Postby petef » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:03 pm

Several of the puzzles in The Times (of London) have had a row with no numbers in it. Symmetry dictates that this should be the central row. I see that the Washington Post puzzles are set by Pappacom and so should be symmetric, and 9x9. IMHO it is a misprint.
--
Pete Forman
petef

clearly a misprint

Postby kblissdc » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think it's safe to conclude it is a misprint.

Kevin
kblissdc

Postby Pappocom » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:47 pm

I've just woken up (in Hong Kong - 5.46 am) and read this Topic. It must be a misprint. I shall contact the Washington Post.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby theGman » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:58 pm

It is a misprint; I found the last row by plugging in the missing digit in the 5 digit search. Unfortunately, it took a while since I started at 1 and it was a 9.
theGman

Postby Pappocom » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:06 am

For the corrected puzzle, see[url=http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=904]
Misprint in today's Washington Post[/url]

To avoid having two Topics on the same subject, this Topic is now locked. Please see the Topic named above.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Return to Published puzzles