3rd World Sudoku Championship

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

3rd World Sudoku Championship

Postby Pyrrhon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:23 pm

I know the World Sudoku championship is a little out of scope here. But my congratulations to the new (and old) world champion Thomas Snyder (motris in this forum) and to the Czech team.

From the new variants I like mostly the cross over between abc end view and sudoku called odd even view.
Pyrrhon

Postby motris » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks for the congratulations, Pyrrhon.

While many of the variants were not "new", the organizers did a good job of making them visually and intellectually appealing. The anti-knight sudoku had alls its givens shaped like a knight. The fortress (castle) sudoku had its darkened squares shaped like a castle/rook. That was the "chess" page of the championship, even if it wasn't official. Others were also really nice, including some noteworthy classics.

The organizers also ran two individual titles, one for classics and one for all sudoku, and I fortunately won both despite a real challenge in the classics championship. The classics title was mainly decided on this really, really tough puzzle that everyone on stage eventually tackled by bifurcation. While it is a bad competition puzzle (logic-based methods won't ever hit the 8 minutes I was done in), it is a tough one that members of this community may enjoy solving at a more recreational pace.

Code: Select all
. . . | . . . | . . .
. 7 6 | 1 . 3 | 5 2 .
. 2 . | 7 . 6 | . 9 .
------+-------+------
. 4 8 | 9 . 7 | 6 1 .
. . . | . . . | . . .
. 3 1 | 5 . 4 | 9 8 .
------+-------+------
. 1 . | 3 . 9 | . 7 .
. 9 3 | 2 . 5 | 1 6 .
. . . | . . . | . . .